Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > unable to execute dos commands through web application

unable to execute dos commands through web application

Arjun

Problem definition:: Register a .dll assembly into GAC(\windows\assembly)
through web application

I have a code which works fine with web application before
deployment(Without IIS), But the same code doesn't work when the web
application is ran through IIS(Without errorthe code executes but it fail
to run Command "gacutil" ).

I have NTFS partition on my PC and Windows server 2003 running..

It may be due to NTFS security
PLease let me if u know. I have try lot to get it done but couldn't
succeed....

I am greatfull to u
Thanks in advance

Joe Kaplan

Why would you do this? Typically, you an adminstrator would install an
assembly into the GAC when the app is deployed. You generally don't need to
do this from the web application itself.

Joe K.

http://www.directoryprogramming.net
--
"Arjun" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Problem definition:: Register a .dll assembly into GAC(\windows\assembly)
> through web application
>
> I have a code which works fine with web application before
> deployment(Without IIS), But the same code doesn't work when the web
> application is ran through IIS(Without errorthe code executes but it
> fail
> to run Command "gacutil" ).
>
> I have NTFS partition on my PC and Windows server 2003 running..
>
> It may be due to NTFS security
> PLease let me if u know. I have try lot to get it done but couldn't
> succeed....
>
> I am greatfull to u
> Thanks in advance

Dominick Baier

typical worker process accounts don't have the privileges to add something
to the GAC - you need admin privs for that (and you don't want to run your
web app as admin!)

do the registration during deployment from an admin account.

---
Dominick Baier, DevelopMentor
http://www.leastprivilege.com

> Problem definition:: Register a .dll assembly into
> GAC(\windows\assembly)
> through web application
> I have a code which works fine with web application before
> deployment(Without IIS), But the same code doesn't work when the web
> application is ran through IIS(Without errorthe code executes but it
> fail to run Command "gacutil" ).
>
> I have NTFS partition on my PC and Windows server 2003 running..
>
> It may be due to NTFS security
> PLease let me if u know. I have try lot to get it done but couldn't
> succeed....
> I am greatfull to u
> Thanks in advance

Arjun

Thanks for the reply..
But Dominick,
I am running my code with admin priviledges.
One thing I found out is ,It is NTFS security that doesn't allow to do this.

and one more thing, Did u mean running web application is to follow the stp
below

1>Right click on the virtual directory,Go to properties and then go to
directory security and enable anonymous access specifying ADmin account
there.

2>Allow anonymous user to

"Dominick Baier" wrote:

> typical worker process accounts don't have the privileges to add something
> to the GAC - you need admin privs for that (and you don't want to run your
> web app as admin!)
>
> do the registration during deployment from an admin account.
>
> ---
> Dominick Baier, DevelopMentor
> http://www.leastprivilege.com
>
> > Problem definition:: Register a .dll assembly into
> > GAC(\windows\assembly)
> > through web application
> > I have a code which works fine with web application before
> > deployment(Without IIS), But the same code doesn't work when the web
> > application is ran through IIS(Without errorthe code executes but it
> > fail to run Command "gacutil" ).
> >
> > I have NTFS partition on my PC and Windows server 2003 running..
> >
> > It may be due to NTFS security
> > PLease let me if u know. I have try lot to get it done but couldn't
> > succeed....
> > I am greatfull to u
> > Thanks in advance

Dominick Baier

why do you want to run your application with such high privileges??

---
Dominick Baier, DevelopMentor
http://www.leastprivilege.com

> Thanks for the reply..
> But Dominick,
> I am running my code with admin priviledges.
> One thing I found out is ,It is NTFS security that doesn't allow to
> do this.
> and one more thing, Did u mean running web application is to follow
> the stp below
>
> 1>Right click on the virtual directory,Go to properties and then go
> to directory security and enable anonymous access specifying ADmin
> account there.
>
> 2>Allow anonymous user to
>
> "Dominick Baier" wrote:
>
>> typical worker process accounts don't have the privileges to add
>> something to the GAC - you need admin privs for that (and you don't
>> want to run your web app as admin!)
>>
>> do the registration during deployment from an admin account.
>>
>> ---
>> Dominick Baier, DevelopMentor
>> http://www.leastprivilege.com
>>> Problem definition:: Register a .dll assembly into
>>> GAC(\windows\assembly)
>>> through web application
>>> I have a code which works fine with web application before
>>> deployment(Without IIS), But the same code doesn't work when the web
>>> application is ran through IIS(Without errorthe code executes but
>>> it
>>> fail to run Command "gacutil" ).
>>> I have NTFS partition on my PC and Windows server 2003 running..
>>>
>>> It may be due to NTFS security
>>> PLease let me if u know. I have try lot to get it done but couldn't
>>> succeed....
>>> I am greatfull to u
>>> Thanks in advance

Arjun

I have provided application security for my application.So only predefined
user(Admins) can login into the application..