Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > <location> multiple file question

<location> multiple file question

David Thielen

Hi;

I need to have the following in Web.config:
<location path="help/login*.htm">
<system.web>
<authorization>
<allow users="*"/>
</authorization>
</system.web>
</location>

But it does not like the * in login*.htm. We have this as the help files for
the login page - but we have login.htm, login-en.htm, login-en-us.htm, etc.
28 so far and growing. Do we need to list each languages help as a seperate
<location> set of nodes?

If so this is a giant PITA. (Microsoft still seems to not think through
globalization issues that well.)

--
thanks - dave
david_at_windward_dot_net

Dominick Baier

you can only specify files or a directory. put them all into a single directory.

Also be aware that htm files will only get affected by forms auth if you
have mapped them to the ASP.NET runtime.

---
Dominick Baier, DevelopMentor
http://www.leastprivilege.com

> Hi;
>
> I need to have the following in Web.config:
> <location path="help/login*.htm">
> <system.web>
> <authorization>
> <allow users="*"/>
> </authorization>
> </system.web>
> </location>
> But it does not like the * in login*.htm. We have this as the help
> files for the login page - but we have login.htm, login-en.htm,
> login-en-us.htm, etc. 28 so far and growing. Do we need to list each
> languages help as a seperate <location> set of nodes?
>
> If so this is a giant PITA. (Microsoft still seems to not think
> through globalization issues that well.)
>
> Cubicle Wars - http://www.windwardreports.com/film.htm

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Dave,

I agree with Dominick that you'd better put all those help document
pages(which does not requier user to login) in a sub directory so that you
can use <location> element to configure <authorization> setting for the
entire directory instead of individual pages.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

David Thielen

I tried help/* and help/*.htm but didn't think of help - that worked great.