Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > Newbie, connection timing out problem

Newbie, connection timing out problem

verci

Hi, sorry if this seems stupid

I'm running WindowsXP, Asp.net 1.1 and Sql Server 2000 , the problem is the
my pages are timing randomly, I use a ODBC connection to the database in
the global.asa file (below), the problem is that my pages some times work
right and some times they time out, but it is sporadically, can anybody help
me?

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE=VBScript RUNAT=Server>

'EventName Description
'Session_OnStart Runs the first time a user runs any page in your
application
'Session_OnEnd Runs when a user's session times out or quits your
application
'Application_OnStart Runs once when the first page of your application is
run for the first time by any user
'Application_OnEnd Runs once when the web server shuts down

Sub Application_OnStart
Application("strConnectString") =
"DSN=WorkDB;Database=EspecialDB;UID=sa;PWD=!*bman~ ;"
End Sub

</SCRIPT>

And do my work on the database using ADO.net to execute some stored
procedures in my database with the following code:

dim strQuery
dim dateRS
dim objConn, Cmd

set objConn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
objConn.ConnectionTimeout = 0
objConn.Open Application("strConnectString")
strQuery = "TimeFrame"
Set dateRS = objConn.Execute(strQuery)

Regards

Steven Nagy

> I'm running WindowsXP, Asp.net 1.1 and Sql Server 2000 , the problem is the
> my pages are timing randomly, I use a ODBC connection to the database in
> the global.asa file (below), the problem is that my pages some times work

Remove your connection string from the global.asa file (which doesn't
actually exist in .NET, did you mean asax or are you actually trying to
convert an application from ASP to ASP.NET?

> "DSN=WorkDB;Database=EspecialDB;UID=sa;PWD=!*bman~ ;"

Instead, put it in a class or module:

public class Settings
public readonly property ConnectionString as string
get
return "DSN=WorkDB;Database=EspecialDB;UID=sa;PWD=!*bman~ ;"
end get
end property
end class

> And do my work on the database using ADO.net to execute some stored
> procedures in my database with the following code:
> dim strQuery
> dim dateRS
> dim objConn, Cmd
>
> set objConn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
> objConn.ConnectionTimeout = 0
> objConn.Open Application("strConnectString")
> strQuery = "TimeFrame"
> Set dateRS = objConn.Execute(strQuery)

This looks more like old ADO, not ADO.NET.
You need to use the System.Data.SqlClient namespace instead.
And you need to fill a dataset, not an ado recordset.

There's too much to answer here for you. I think you need to do some of
the MSDN walkthroughs on using ADO.NET. Here's some classes to get you
started:
System.Data.Dataset
System.Data.DataTable
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataAdapter
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection

Steven

verci

Hi

Yes is old ADO, the company I work for has an old or original ASP system
that needs maintenance and god only knows who was the original programmer,
maybe in the near future I can fight to covert the whole app to asp.net,
sorry about that snafu regardig asp.net 1.1 my bad!, ok now that we got
things clear, regarding the time out issues that we are experiencing what
are your thoughts? I need to stick to the actual programming style (for now)

"Steven Nagy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

>> I'm running WindowsXP, Asp.net 1.1 and Sql Server 2000 , the problem is
>> the
>> my pages are timing randomly, I use a ODBC connection to the database
>> in
>> the global.asa file (below), the problem is that my pages some times work

> Remove your connection string from the global.asa file (which doesn't
> actually exist in .NET, did you mean asax or are you actually trying to
> convert an application from ASP to ASP.NET?
>
>> "DSN=WorkDB;Database=EspecialDB;UID=sa;PWD=!*bman~ ;"

> Instead, put it in a class or module:
>
> public class Settings
> public readonly property ConnectionString as string
> get
> return "DSN=WorkDB;Database=EspecialDB;UID=sa;PWD=!*bman~ ;"
> end get
> end property
> end class
>
>> And do my work on the database using ADO.net to execute some stored
>> procedures in my database with the following code:
>> dim strQuery
>> dim dateRS
>> dim objConn, Cmd
>>
>> set objConn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
>> objConn.ConnectionTimeout = 0
>> objConn.Open Application("strConnectString")
>> strQuery = "TimeFrame"
>> Set dateRS = objConn.Execute(strQuery)

> This looks more like old ADO, not ADO.NET.
> You need to use the System.Data.SqlClient namespace instead.
> And you need to fill a dataset, not an ado recordset.
>
> There's too much to answer here for you. I think you need to do some of
> the MSDN walkthroughs on using ADO.NET. Here's some classes to get you
> started:
> System.Data.Dataset
> System.Data.DataTable
> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand
> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataAdapter
> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection
>
> Steven

Steven Nagy

Ok

Well I don't actually remember any ASP or ADO. I haven't touched it for
years.
This news group is for asp.net. I am sure there is a relevant ASP group
for you to post to.

Best of luck,
Steven

verci wrote:
> Hi
>
> Yes is old ADO, the company I work for has an old or original ASP system
> that needs maintenance and god only knows who was the original programmer,
> maybe in the near future I can fight to covert the whole app to asp.net,
> sorry about that snafu regardig asp.net 1.1 my bad!, ok now that we got
> things clear, regarding the time out issues that we are experiencing what
> are your thoughts? I need to stick to the actual programming style (for now)
>

> "Steven Nagy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> >
> >> I'm running WindowsXP, Asp.net 1.1 and Sql Server 2000 , the problem is
> >> the
> >> my pages are timing randomly, I use a ODBC connection to the database
> >> in
> >> the global.asa file (below), the problem is that my pages some times work

> > Remove your connection string from the global.asa file (which doesn't
> > actually exist in .NET, did you mean asax or are you actually trying to
> > convert an application from ASP to ASP.NET?
> >
> >> "DSN=WorkDB;Database=EspecialDB;UID=sa;PWD=!*bman~ ;"

> > Instead, put it in a class or module:
> >
> > public class Settings
> > public readonly property ConnectionString as string
> > get
> > return "DSN=WorkDB;Database=EspecialDB;UID=sa;PWD=!*bman~ ;"
> > end get
> > end property
> > end class
> >
> >> And do my work on the database using ADO.net to execute some stored
> >> procedures in my database with the following code:
> >> dim strQuery
> >> dim dateRS
> >> dim objConn, Cmd
> >>
> >> set objConn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
> >> objConn.ConnectionTimeout = 0
> >> objConn.Open Application("strConnectString")
> >> strQuery = "TimeFrame"
> >> Set dateRS = objConn.Execute(strQuery)

> > This looks more like old ADO, not ADO.NET.
> > You need to use the System.Data.SqlClient namespace instead.
> > And you need to fill a dataset, not an ado recordset.
> >
> > There's too much to answer here for you. I think you need to do some of
> > the MSDN walkthroughs on using ADO.NET. Here's some classes to get you
> > started:
> > System.Data.Dataset
> > System.Data.DataTable
> > System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand
> > System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataAdapter
> > System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection
> >
> > Steven

Michael Hamrah

Is TimeFrame an SP? You may want to see if you can optimize the stored
procedure. In query analyzer you can "show execution plan" to see
what's going on. If it happens sporadically there could be some
locking going on.

Also, set your command and recordset objects to nothing when you're
done with them. It's possible that you're leaving the connections
open, and the timeout is occuring because ADO is waiting for an
available connection which never happens.

Steven Nagy wrote:
> Ok
>
> Well I don't actually remember any ASP or ADO. I haven't touched it for
> years.
> This news group is for asp.net. I am sure there is a relevant ASP group
> for you to post to.
>
> Best of luck,
> Steven
>
> verci wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Yes is old ADO, the company I work for has an old or original ASP system
> > that needs maintenance and god only knows who was the original programmer,
> > maybe in the near future I can fight to covert the whole app to asp.net,
> > sorry about that snafu regardig asp.net 1.1 my bad!, ok now that we got
> > things clear, regarding the time out issues that we are experiencing what
> > are your thoughts? I need to stick to the actual programming style (for now)
> >

> > "Steven Nagy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> > > Remove your connection string from the global.asa file (which doesn't
> > > actually exist in .NET, did you mean asax or are you actually trying to
> > > convert an application from ASP to ASP.NET?

> > > Instead, put it in a class or module:
> > >
> > > public class Settings
> > > public readonly property ConnectionString as string
> > > get
> > > return "DSN=WorkDB;Database=EspecialDB;UID=sa;PWD=!*bman~ ;"
> > > end get
> > > end property
> > > end class

> > > This looks more like old ADO, not ADO.NET.
> > > You need to use the System.Data.SqlClient namespace instead.
> > > And you need to fill a dataset, not an ado recordset.
> > >
> > > There's too much to answer here for you. I think you need to do some of
> > > the MSDN walkthroughs on using ADO.NET. Here's some classes to get you
> > > started:
> > > System.Data.Dataset
> > > System.Data.DataTable
> > > System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand