Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > Custom Membership Provider with multi databases

Custom Membership Provider with multi databases

tao lin

Hi, all

I have tested the Sample Access Providers from Provider Toolkit and get
some feeling how to write a Custom Membership Provider. But now in my own
asp.net app I cannot make my Custom Membership Provider working with multi
databases. My aps.net web site using querystring such as
http://localhost/myapp?client=AClient or
http://localhost/myapp?client=BClient
to specify which database to connet. And each database have its own User and
Role table. We don't want a cental role and membership database because each
database map to an independant client. And in my understanding, each
membership provider and role provider can only point to one database through
the connectionStringName value in Web.Config.

Is there any way I can make use of Asp.net 2 membershipProvider and
roleProvider with multi databases?

Cheers,

Tao

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

You can create multiple ASP.NET databi (plural for database :->) and point
different pieces to each. Linking the bits that have to be linked can be a
pain.

You can also create a separate database for each app and write scripts for
the roles (or copy the files after initial seed and save back a copy for
newer clients). You then add tthe client specific stuff to the shell.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think outside of the box!
"tao lin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, all
>
> I have tested the Sample Access Providers from Provider Toolkit and get
> some feeling how to write a Custom Membership Provider. But now in my own
> asp.net app I cannot make my Custom Membership Provider working with multi
> databases. My aps.net web site using querystring such as
> http://localhost/myapp?client=AClient or
> http://localhost/myapp?client=BClient
> to specify which database to connet. And each database have its own User
> and Role table. We don't want a cental role and membership database
> because each database map to an independant client. And in my
> understanding, each membership provider and role provider can only point
> to one database through the connectionStringName value in Web.Config.
>
> Is there any way I can make use of Asp.net 2 membershipProvider and
> roleProvider with multi databases?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tao

tao lin

Hi, Gregory

Thanks for your reply.

So in my understanding, what you mean is impossible to use one ASP.Net app
and one membership provider to point to different databases? You know, I
don't want to maintain multiple asp.net apps and the only difference for
them is the web.config file

Cheers,

Tao

"Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...