Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > LDAP Auth Problem - COM interop

LDAP Auth Problem - COM interop

Chris Davoli

Environment: Win XP, VS2003, Active Directory
I'm trying to use LDAP to authenticate users. I used article
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=326340
How to authenticate against the Active Directory by using forms
authentication and Visual Basic .NET, but am having a COM interop error when
I do the IsAuthenticated try to create an object entry.NativeObject ie; Dim
obj As Object = entry.NativeObject

The COM interop error is <error: an exception of type:
{System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException} occurred>

I'm thinking that there is some kind of COM component that is either not
registered, or not there.

Can anyone help me?

Here is the code:

Public Function IsAuthenticated(ByVal domain As String, ByVal
username As String, ByVal pwd As String) As Boolean

Dim domainAndUsername As String = domain & "\" & username
Dim entry As DirectoryEntry = New DirectoryEntry(_path,
domainAndUsername, pwd)

Try
'Bind to the native AdsObject to force authentication.
Dim obj As Object = entry.NativeObject
Dim search As DirectorySearcher = New DirectorySearcher(entry)

search.Filter = "(SAMAccountName=" & username & ")"
search.PropertiesToLoad.Add("cn")
Dim result As SearchResult = search.FindOne()

If (result Is Nothing) Then
Return False
End If

'Update the new path to the user in the directory.
_path = result.Path
_filterAttribute = CType(result.Properties("cn")(0), String)

Catch ex As Exception
Throw New Exception("Error authenticating user. " &
ex.Message)
End Try

Return True
End Function

--
Chris Davoli

Joe Kaplan

There should be more details of the COM error in the stack trace. Can you
provide that? Also, that sample from MS kind of sucks. We have a much
better one in our book (IMO) in ch 12. Ch 12 isn't the free chapter from
the website, but the code samples are there for download.

LDAP auth is a thorny problem that can get you into trouble. Are you sure
you need to do it this way? Also, can you use the .NET 2.0
ActiveDirectoryMembershipProvider instead?

Joe K.

http://www.directoryprogramming.net
--
"Chris Davoli" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Environment: Win XP, VS2003, Active Directory
> I'm trying to use LDAP to authenticate users. I used article
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=326340
> How to authenticate against the Active Directory by using forms
> authentication and Visual Basic .NET, but am having a COM interop error
> when
> I do the IsAuthenticated try to create an object entry.NativeObject ie;
> Dim
> obj As Object = entry.NativeObject
>
> The COM interop error is <error: an exception of type:
> {System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException} occurred>
>
> I'm thinking that there is some kind of COM component that is either not
> registered, or not there.
>
> Can anyone help me?
>
> Here is the code:
>
> Public Function IsAuthenticated(ByVal domain As String, ByVal
> username As String, ByVal pwd As String) As Boolean
>
> Dim domainAndUsername As String = domain & "\" & username
> Dim entry As DirectoryEntry = New DirectoryEntry(_path,
> domainAndUsername, pwd)
>
> Try
> 'Bind to the native AdsObject to force authentication.
> Dim obj As Object = entry.NativeObject
> Dim search As DirectorySearcher = New
> DirectorySearcher(entry)
>
> search.Filter = "(SAMAccountName=" & username & ")"
> search.PropertiesToLoad.Add("cn")
> Dim result As SearchResult = search.FindOne()
>
> If (result Is Nothing) Then
> Return False
> End If
>
> 'Update the new path to the user in the directory.
> _path = result.Path
> _filterAttribute = CType(result.Properties("cn")(0),
> String)
>
> Catch ex As Exception
> Throw New Exception("Error authenticating user. " &
> ex.Message)
> End Try
>
> Return True
> End Function
>

> --
> Chris Davoli

Chris Davoli

Joe,
below is the error. Is there anything you can think of?

Also, I am going to buy the book this weekend.

Can I download these samples from chapter 12?

What is this .Net 2.0 ActiveDirectoryMembershipProvider? Where can I find
some info on it?

Chris

Server Error in '/FormsAuthAd' Application.

Error authenticating user. The requested authentication method is not
supported by the server

Exception Details: System.Exception: Error authenticating user. The
requested authentication method is not supported by the server

Source Error:

Line 38:
Line 39: Catch ex As Exception
Line 40: Throw New Exception("Error authenticating user. " &
ex.Message)
Line 41: End Try
Line 42:

Source File: C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\FormsAuthAd\LdapAuthentication. vb Line: 40

Stack Trace:

[Exception: Error authenticating user. The requested authentication method
is not supported by the server]
FormsAuthAd.FormsAuth.LdapAuthentication.IsAuthent icated(String domain,
String username, String pwd) in
C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\FormsAuthAd\LdapAuthentication. vb:40
ASP.Logon_aspx.Login_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in
c:\inetpub\wwwroot\FormsAuthAd\logon.aspx:21
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPo stBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument)
System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEve ntHandler
sourceControl, String eventArgument)
System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCol lection postData)

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2032; ASP.NET
Version:1.1.4322.2032

--
Chris Davoli

"Joe Kaplan" wrote:

> There should be more details of the COM error in the stack trace. Can you
> provide that? Also, that sample from MS kind of sucks. We have a much
> better one in our book (IMO) in ch 12. Ch 12 isn't the free chapter from
> the website, but the code samples are there for download.
>
> LDAP auth is a thorny problem that can get you into trouble. Are you sure
> you need to do it this way? Also, can you use the .NET 2.0
> ActiveDirectoryMembershipProvider instead?
>
> Joe K.

> http://www.directoryprogramming.net
> --
> "Chris Davoli" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Environment: Win XP, VS2003, Active Directory
> > I'm trying to use LDAP to authenticate users. I used article
> > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=326340
> > How to authenticate against the Active Directory by using forms
> > authentication and Visual Basic .NET, but am having a COM interop error
> > when
> > I do the IsAuthenticated try to create an object entry.NativeObject ie;
> > Dim
> > obj As Object = entry.NativeObject
> >
> > The COM interop error is <error: an exception of type:
> > {System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException} occurred>
> >
> > I'm thinking that there is some kind of COM component that is either not
> > registered, or not there.
> >
> > Can anyone help me?
> >
> > Here is the code:
> >
> > Public Function IsAuthenticated(ByVal domain As String, ByVal
> > username As String, ByVal pwd As String) As Boolean
> >
> > Dim domainAndUsername As String = domain & "\" & username
> > Dim entry As DirectoryEntry = New DirectoryEntry(_path,
> > domainAndUsername, pwd)
> >
> > Try
> > 'Bind to the native AdsObject to force authentication.
> > Dim obj As Object = entry.NativeObject
> > Dim search As DirectorySearcher = New
> > DirectorySearcher(entry)
> >
> > search.Filter = "(SAMAccountName=" & username & ")"
> > search.PropertiesToLoad.Add("cn")
> > Dim result As SearchResult = search.FindOne()
> >
> > If (result Is Nothing) Then
> > Return False
> > End If
> >
> > 'Update the new path to the user in the directory.
> > _path = result.Path
> > _filterAttribute = CType(result.Properties("cn")(0),
> > String)
> >
> > Catch ex As Exception
> > Throw New Exception("Error authenticating user. " &
> > ex.Message)
> > End Try
> >
> > Return True
> > End Function
> >

> > --
> > Chris Davoli

Chris Davoli

Actually here is the error message...

Server Error in '/FormsAuthAd' Application.

The requested authentication method is not supported by the server

Exception Details: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: The
requested authentication method is not supported by the server

Source Error:

Line 22: 'Try
Line 23: 'Bind to the native AdsObject to force authentication.
Line 24: Dim obj As Object = entry.NativeObject
Line 25: Dim search As DirectorySearcher = New
DirectorySearcher(entry)
Line 26:

Source File: C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\FormsAuthAd\LdapAuthentication. vb Line: 24

Stack Trace:

[COMException (0x80072027): The requested authentication method is not
supported by the server]
System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry.Bind(Boole an throwIfFail)
System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry.Bind()
System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry.get_Native Object()
FormsAuthAd.FormsAuth.LdapAuthentication.IsAuthent icated(String domain,
String username, String pwd) in
C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\FormsAuthAd\LdapAuthentication. vb:24

"Chris Davoli" wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > > Dim domainAndUsername As String = domain & "\" & username
> > > Dim entry As DirectoryEntry = New DirectoryEntry(_path,
> > > domainAndUsername, pwd)
> > >
> > > Try
> > > 'Bind to the native AdsObject to force authentication.
> > > Dim obj As Object = entry.NativeObject
> > > Dim search As DirectorySearcher = New
> > > DirectorySearcher(entry)
> > >
> > > search.Filter = "(SAMAccountName=" & username & ")"
> > > search.PropertiesToLoad.Add("cn")
> > > Dim result As SearchResult = search.FindOne()
> > >
> > > If (result Is Nothing) Then
> > > Return False
> > > End If
> > >
> > > 'Update the new path to the user in the directory.
> > > _path = result.Path
> > > _filterAttribute = CType(result.Properties("cn")(0),
> > > String)
> > >
> > > Catch ex As Exception
> > > Throw New Exception("Error authenticating user. " &

Joe Kaplan

That's actually a fairly interesting error (authentication method is not
supported) and sounds like it could be a weird environment problem. For
starters, I'd suggest adding "AuthenticationTypes.Secure" into the 4th
parameter on your DirectoryEntry constructor to see if that changes
anything. It sounds like there may be an environment issue preventing the
use of Kerberos or NTLM. It is pretty hard to say and may require doing
network sniffs to find out. Ick.

The membership APIs in ASP.NET 2.0 are a new abstraction layer that help
with the implementation of forms-based authentication and user management
(creation, password reset, etc.). They use a provider model so that
different backends like SQL and AD can be plugged in. It is also fully
customizable, so you can roll your own. The AD implementation has a pretty
strong implementation of its authentication scheme.

There is so much info out there about the membership stuff that I hesitate
to start to recommend anything, but Google is your friend. If ASP.NET
2.0 is available to you, I think you should really be looking at this rather
than rolling your own forms auth.