Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > SQL Server does not exists... Yada, yada, yada

SQL Server does not exists... Yada, yada, yada

Damien

Hi Guys,

Yet another person suffering from the infamous "SQL Server does not
exist or access is denied problem". I've looked through a fair bit of
the checklists, but none have resolved my problem as yet. Here's what
we're using:

Machine running ASP.Net is either a Window 2000 Pro or Windows XP Pro
box (tried both). The server is Windows 2003, running SQL Server 2000.

We have an ASP.Net 1.1 application that consists of a simple set of
pages/code behind and a separate DLL which performs the data
operations. The DLL knows how to find it's own connection string from
the registry (uses SQL Authentication, BTW)

If we add the data DLL to a Windows Forms application, it connects
fine, so we know that the connection string stored in the registry is
correct. We've also demonstrated that we can connect using Query
Analyzer, using the same username/password, both whilst running under a
domain users account, and whilst running under the local system
account.

This has led me to suspect it's "something" special to ASP.Net. We've
unregistered/reregistered ASP.Net using aspnet_regiis (also, bear in
mind that we get the same from both test machines). We've tried
switching ASP.Net from using the ASPNET account to using the SYSTEM
account. We've tried forcing the connection to use Named Pipes, or to
use TCP/IP (and we've verified that both protocols are enabled at both
client and server). We've tried adding an <impersonate> element into
web.config. None of these has changed the error message (other than it
taking longer to error when we forced tcp connection).

We've verified under all these circumstances that we don't even get a
login failure in profiler.

So, what I'm looking for is more ideas of where we should look?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Damien