Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > ASP.NET 2.0 calling a COM object

ASP.NET 2.0 calling a COM object

Queue

Hi,

I have a ASP.NET 2.0 application running on IIS 6. The application pool
associated with the application is running under the "Network Service"
account.

Within the app, a COM object is instantiated and used. Within this COM
object access to a file share on the same server is needed, but it cannot be
accessed. I have tried including the "Network Service" account in the
Administrator group (just for testing), but no results.

Any suggestions?

Regards,

MikeS

Maybe the Network Service account aka the MACHINE$ account will need
rights to the share set up on whichever server the share is set up.

Queue

Mike,

The share resides on the same server as the ASP.NET application, but due to
configuration purposes I have to use the share. However, the account has
sufficient rights on both the share and the NTFS file system.

Regards

"MikeS" wrote:

> Maybe the Network Service account aka the MACHINE$ account will need
> rights to the share set up on whichever server the share is set up.

MikeS

OK, I see, so for however you have it set up in IIS with IWA or
anonymous and in web.config with impersonation or not, I assume you are
getting a path/file access error?

Whatever System.Security.Principal.WindowsIdentity.GetCurre nt.Name
returns should have change permission on the share and write permission
on the directory as well as exec on the COM dll.

That works for me here.

If it is a file permissions problem, filemon from sysinternals.com will
show the access denieds.