Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > Detailed docs on how forms authentication works?

Detailed docs on how forms authentication works?

news.microsoft.com

Can anyone tell me where to find detailed documentation on exactly how Forms
Authentication works?

The docs and tutorials I've found don't tell you much, just how to use it in
a common scenario but there's no description of what's going on - it's just
a black box.

I'm doing something unusual so I need to be able to have more fine-grained
control of Forms Authentication.

TIA

MikeS.

Dominick Baier

Hi,

I have written a fair amount about the forms auth mechanics in my upcoming
book[0]. But that will take some more weeks to be published.

The best docs you will find is by looking at the source code using Reflector.
Check the OnEnter and OnLeave Methods in the System.Web.Security.FormsAuthenticationModule
class.

[0] http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/books/9989.asp

---
Dominick Baier, DevelopMentor