Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > Delegation failure with XMLHTTP

Reply
Thread Tools

Delegation failure with XMLHTTP

 
 
Adam Short
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-09-2006
Hi,

I'm trying to use XMLHTTP to do an out of band call for the contents of
a drop down. Basically a user selects an item from a drop down, and the
onchange event fires an XMLHTTP request to the server for the contents
of a dependent drop down (in this case, the first drop down is
categories, the second is subcategories). In order to get the content of
the second drop down the asp.net app on the server needs to get data
from SQL Server (2000). When I run the app on my local machine, on my
local instance of IIS, it works great. As soon as I transfer it to the
server, it all goes wrong. When I select a value in the first drop down
I get an error telling me login failed for user "\" on the SQL server. I
take this to mean that my credentials aren't being properly passed from
my machine, to IIS on the server and then through to SQL Server (which
is on yet another machine). The rest of the app works perfectly, despite
the fact that IIS and SQL Server are on two different machines (there's
no reason they shouldn't be). The only bit that has problems is the
XMLHTTP bit. What am I missing? Is there something wrong with the way
I'm using XMLHTTP in this instance? I would have thought that once the
request gets to the server, the rest of the process would work just the
same as a normal web request, but it doesn't seem to. At some point I
lose my credentials, but I don't really know where. If I supply
credentials with the XMLHTTP request, it still doesn't work and I get
the same error, presumably because the credentials still aren't being
passed from IIS to SQL Server.

Can anyone provide any clues with this?



*** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com ***
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Joe Kaplan \(MVP - ADSI\)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-09-2006
Can you tell a difference between the way your "normal" page requests from
the browser to the web server are authenticating vs. the XMLHTTP requests?
My guess is that if you have configured Kerberos delegation and the
delegation is working, the problem is that you aren't getting Kerberos auth
with XMLHTTP but are getting NTLM instead.

Careful examination of the security event logs (enable auditing for all
logon events!) on the web server will reveal this.

Joe K.

--
Joe Kaplan-MS MVP Directory Services Programming
Co-author of "The .NET Developer's Guide to Directory Services Programming"
http://www.directoryprogramming.net
--
"Adam Short" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to use XMLHTTP to do an out of band call for the contents of
> a drop down. Basically a user selects an item from a drop down, and the
> onchange event fires an XMLHTTP request to the server for the contents
> of a dependent drop down (in this case, the first drop down is
> categories, the second is subcategories). In order to get the content of
> the second drop down the asp.net app on the server needs to get data
> from SQL Server (2000). When I run the app on my local machine, on my
> local instance of IIS, it works great. As soon as I transfer it to the
> server, it all goes wrong. When I select a value in the first drop down
> I get an error telling me login failed for user "\" on the SQL server. I
> take this to mean that my credentials aren't being properly passed from
> my machine, to IIS on the server and then through to SQL Server (which
> is on yet another machine). The rest of the app works perfectly, despite
> the fact that IIS and SQL Server are on two different machines (there's
> no reason they shouldn't be). The only bit that has problems is the
> XMLHTTP bit. What am I missing? Is there something wrong with the way
> I'm using XMLHTTP in this instance? I would have thought that once the
> request gets to the server, the rest of the process would work just the
> same as a normal web request, but it doesn't seem to. At some point I
> lose my credentials, but I don't really know where. If I supply
> credentials with the XMLHTTP request, it still doesn't work and I get
> the same error, presumably because the credentials still aren't being
> passed from IIS to SQL Server.
>
> Can anyone provide any clues with this?
>
>
>
> *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com ***



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Adam Short
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-10-2006
What you say certainly sounds reasonable. I can't configure the event
logs myself (I don't have access), but I'll get one of our systems guys
to set it up. Hopefully we'll spot something useful. Thanks very much
for your help.



*** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com ***
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
delegation question, where I want prototype style delegation Sam Roberts Ruby 4 05-07-2008 05:48 AM
Success Or Failure: There Is No Such Thing As Failure bs866806@163.com C Programming 0 01-06-2008 11:41 AM
Msxml*.XMLHTTP vs. Microsoft.XMLHTTP yawnmoth Javascript 11 11-09-2006 08:44 PM
[JAVA] [EVALUATION] - The Java Failure (Sorry: The Java(tm) Failure) Ilias Lazaridis Java 0 02-01-2005 10:32 AM
Problem with impersonation and delegation Kelly D. Jones ASP .Net 1 09-12-2003 04:43 PM



Advertisments