Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > AspNet Code Signing Problems

AspNet Code Signing Problems

Danb

I want to sign an user-unique cabinet file. So each time I must resign the
cabinet before it is downloaded by the user.

I am trying to spawn a process that calls Signtool.exe with the arguments
being:
sign /f newcert.pfx /p password /v mycab.cab

Starting the process yields a standard error result of:
SignTool Error: File not found: newcert.pfx

I have tried impersonating the person who owns the certificate and I get a
different standard error of :
SignTool Error: CoCreateInstance returned error: 0x80070005 Access is denied

Does anyone know what I should do now?

Thanks in advance,

DanB

Dominick Baier

Hi,

i would fully qualify all paths that your are using, e.g. to the .pfx file.
Otherwise you are making assumption about the working directory which may
not be true, you can test this by using:

<%= Environment.CurrentDirectory %>

on a page.

dominick

> I want to sign an user-unique cabinet file. So each time I must resigne
> the cabinet before it is downloaded by the user.
>
> I am trying to spawn a process that calls Signtool.exe with the
> arguments
> being:
> sign /f newcert.pfx /p password /v mycab.cab
> Starting the process yields a standard error result of: SignTool
> Error: File not found: newcert.pfx
>
> I have tried impersonating the person who owns the certificate and I
> get a
> different standard error of :
> SignTool Error: CoCreateInstance returned error: 0x80070005 Access is
> denied
> Does anyone know what I should do now?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> DanB

Danb

Oops,

I have in previous efforts inserted the fully qualified paths and used
server.mapppath and io.file.exists to check that those files are found. But
when I use the resultant strings I continue to get the same errors.

Let me ask one thing. My certificate does not indicate that it is valid
for code signing YET when I use the signtool wizard it will in fact sign the
cabinet.
Is it possible that this could be my problem with unattended signing? In
other words because it is not a code signing certificate signtool rejects
the certificate but instead of telling me why it sends this very ambiguous
error?

PS. Dominick sorry about the previous post that was sent to you only. I
clicked the wrong button :<.

news:(E-Mail Removed) m...

Is the aspnet account called "aspnet" for all non-English versions of Windows and IIS? torus@tpg.com.au ASP .Net 7 03-23-2007 04:00 AM
code signing in 2005 gerry ASP .Net 1 02-28-2006 02:46 PM
Upgrade from aspnet 1.1 to aspnet 2.0 Gary Nelson ASP .Net 2 10-14-2005 05:16 PM
microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols ,microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet Alfred Sehmueller ASP .Net Web Controls 0 02-20-2004 02:39 PM
Restricting ASPNET ACLs without breaking ASPNET (newbie-ish) Brian Schuth ASP .Net Security 0 09-08-2003 06:09 PM

Advertisments