Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE'.

Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE'.

David Thielen

Hi;

I just built a Windows 2003 server, installed IIS and Sql Server, ran
"aspnet_regis -i" and "aspnet_regsql.exe -S localhost -E -A all -d
WindwardPortalMembership", copied my ASP.NET app over, in IIS properties
clicked the Create button to mark it as an application.

The login page comes up (using Membership with a db on Sql Server) and then
I get the following. Any ideas why?

--
thanks - dave
david_at_windward_dot_net

Server Error in '/portal' Application

Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE'.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Login failed for user
'NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE'.

Source Error:

Stack Trace:

[SqlException (0x80131904): Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK
SERVICE'.]
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnErro r(SqlException
exception, Boolean breakConnection) +735203

System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndW arning(TdsParserStateObject
stateObj) +188
System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand
cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet
bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj) +1838
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.Com pleteLogin(Boolean
enlistOK) +33

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.Ope nLoginEnlist(SqlConnection
owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, String newPassword,
Boolean redirectedUserInstance) +628

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ct or(DbConnectionPoolIdentity
identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Object providerInfo, String
newPassword, SqlConnection owningObject, Boolean redirectedUserInstance) +170

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateC onnection(DbConnectionOptions
options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection
owningConnection) +359

System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.Creat ePooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnectionOptions options) +28
System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.CreateOb ject(DbConnection
owningObject) +424
System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.UserCrea teRequest(DbConnection
owningObject) +66
System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConne ction(DbConnection
owningObject) +496
System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetCo nnection(DbConnection
owningConnection) +82
System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenCo nnection(DbConnection
outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory) +105
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open() +111
System.Web.DataAccess.SqlConnectionHolder.Open(Htt pContext context,
Boolean revertImpersonate) +84
System.Web.DataAccess.SqlConnectionHelper.GetConne ction(String
connectionString, Boolean revertImpersonation) +197
System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider.GetPassw ordWithFormat(String
username, Boolean updateLastLoginActivityDate, Int32& status, String&
password, Int32& passwordFormat, String& passwordSalt, Int32&
failedPasswordAttemptCount, Int32& failedPasswordAnswerAttemptCount, Boolean&
isApproved, DateTime& lastLoginDate, DateTime& lastActivityDate) +1121
System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider.CheckPas sword(String username,
String password, Boolean updateLastLoginActivityDate, Boolean
failIfNotApproved, String& salt, Int32& passwordFormat) +105
System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider.CheckPas sword(String username,
String password, Boolean updateLastLoginActivityDate, Boolean
failIfNotApproved) +42
System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider.Validate User(String username,
String password) +83
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Login.OnAuthenticate(Aut henticateEventArgs e)
+160
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Login.AttemptLogin() +105
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Login.OnBubbleEvent(Obje ct source, EventArgs e)
+99
System.Web.UI.Control.RaiseBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs args) +35
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnCommand(Command EventArgs e) +115
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEven t(String eventArgument)
+163

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPo stBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +7
System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEve ntHandler
sourceControl, String eventArgument) +11
System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCol lection postData) +33
includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +5102

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42; ASP.NET
Version:2.0.50727.42

Winista

Do you use SQL auth or Windows auth for your SQL connection?
Your ASP.Net is running under Netowkr Service user account and your SQL
server does provider permissions for this user account to connect.

"David Thielen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

> e)
> +99
> System.Web.UI.Control.RaiseBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs args)
> +35
> System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnCommand(Command EventArgs e) +115
> System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEven t(String
> eventArgument)
> +163
>
> System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPo stBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String
> eventArgument) +7
> System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEve ntHandler
> sourceControl, String eventArgument) +11
> System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCol lection postData) +33
> includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +5102

> Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42;

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Dave,

Regarding on the "Login failed for user...." problem you met, I think it is
a typical database access permission issue. As for your ASP.NET 2.0 web
application, are you used to developing it through VS 2005 Test
webserver(file system web project) on the development machine? And are you
using windows authentication to connect the sqlserver database(for your
membership provider)?

If the above is the case, it is an expected behavior. Because when you
developing through vs 2005 test webserver, the ASP.NET application(also the
test server) is running under your logon user account(which is usually a
powerful account). And when asp.net application use this account to connect
database, you won't encounter any permission issue. However, after you
deploy it to the windows 2003 server/IIS6, since the ASP.NET application's
process identity become the IIS application pool's identity and this
identity by default is the "NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE" account(which is
not expected to have any permission in the sqlserver database), then when
your application change to use this account to access the SQL Server
membership database, you will get the "login failed ....." error.

Please have a look and verify the above things. If this is the cause of
your problem, you can consider granting the sufficient permission in the
sqlserver database server for the "Network service" account.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

ications.

where an initial

response from the community or a Microsoft Support Engineer within 1
business day is

acceptable. Please note that each follow up response may take approximately
2 business days

as the support professional working with you may need further investigation
to reach the

that require

urgent, real-time or phone-based interactions or complex project analysis
and dump analysis

issues. Issues of this nature are best handled working with a dedicated
Microsoft Support

Engineer by contacting Microsoft Customer Support Services (CSS) at

Dominick Baier

give NETWORK SERVICE access to the DB

a) create a login
b) assign some roles to the login, e.g. membership_basic or whatever suits
your needs.