Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > Forms Authentication - Sudden Redirect Failure on Login

Forms Authentication - Sudden Redirect Failure on Login

Luke Zhang [MSFT]

Just ensure we don't miss the simplest thing: If you copy the web.config
from QA Server to the production sever, what is the result? Also, have you
test the application by loging on the production server, opening IE and
browsing thr web application? This make us ensure if there is any problem
like proxy or firewall.

Sincerely,

Luke Zhang

Microsoft Online Community Support
ications.

Stephen Davies

Refer my original post, I have copied to complete site (web config included)
to another win2003 box and it works perfectly

As I mentioned I am sure its a .net problem not an application problem.

--
Regards
Stephen Davies

"Luke Zhang [MSFT]" wrote:

> Just ensure we don't miss the simplest thing: If you copy the web.config
> from QA Server to the production sever, what is the result? Also, have you
> test the application by loging on the production server, opening IE and
> browsing thr web application? This make us ensure if there is any problem
> like proxy or firewall.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Luke Zhang
>
> Microsoft Online Community Support
> ications.

Luke Zhang [MSFT]

To confirm if this is .NET framework issue, you may first try to
re-register the ASP.NET on the server:

Aspnet_regiis -ua

and then:

Aspnet_regiis -i

For more details on Aspnet_regiis:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro.../Library/IIS/1
f74eac5-9005-4f91-9137-f63b73eefde8.mspx?mfr=true

And you also can try to repair the framework:

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;306160

Sincerely,

Luke Zhang

Microsoft Online Community Support
ications.

kelghayesh@gmail.com

Any resolution to this issue? I have a similar problem: developing a
web app in VS 2005 using forms authentication. My dev box is win XP and
the app is in c#. Forms authentication used to work just fine on my dev
box. Recently, the login page is not redirecting to the return URL, and
I keep getting the login page back. I have a directory in the app with
all the pages that require login. The directory as well as the login
page are defined in web.config. Last version of the app is deployed to
a win2003 server is working fine there. Now, I can't deploy the latest
version until I fix forms authentication on my dev box and figure out
what's going on?

The code is very similar to Stephen's and the debug statements yield
similar values. Sounds like an environment issue but I can't figure out
what has happened. What do you guys think. Thanks, Khaled.

Luke Zhang [MSFT] wrote:
> To confirm if this is .NET framework issue, you may first try to
> re-register the ASP.NET on the server:
>
> Aspnet_regiis -ua
>
> and then:
>
> Aspnet_regiis -i
>
> For more details on Aspnet_regiis:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro.../Library/IIS/1
> f74eac5-9005-4f91-9137-f63b73eefde8.mspx?mfr=true
>
> And you also can try to repair the framework:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;306160
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Luke Zhang
>
> Microsoft Online Community Support
> ications.

Stephen Davies

Hi Like (and Khaled)

Well unfortunately we could not wait any longer and the box was rebuilt
before I could resolve this issue.

Upon reloading the site from the development XP machine (which has always
worked) the production site functions as expected with the correct redirect.

Thank you Luke for your attempts to resolve the issue and Khaled, sounds
like you have a problem in your code if none of the platforms work. In my
case the development platform functioned correctly but when shipping the
login page and executable to the production environment failed, this said to
me the code was fine.

Do what Luke suggested and create a new simple project aspnet authentication
project and see if that functions in your test environment. If it does then
you need to look deeper into your code. You might further prove the code by
shipping the aspx and assembly to another machine and trying it there.

--
Regards
Stephen Davies