Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > securityadministration

securityadministration

Dabbler

Is there a way to use the website administration tool from the hosting server
instead of localhost? I need a way for my client to be able to maintain
members and roles and they obviously won't be using Visual Studio.

Any suggestions would be apprecitated.

Thanks!

Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor]

You can do that - register the app as a IIS app - you have to look through
the code though, on one page (forgot which one - presumably the main page)
- there is a check if the client is local - you can remove that line of code
and it will work.

Be very careful with that, make sure this is secured properly.

---------------------------------------
Dominick Baier - DevelopMentor
http://www.leastprivilege.com

> Is there a way to use the website administration tool from the hosting
> server instead of localhost? I need a way for my client to be able to
> maintain members and roles and they obviously won't be using Visual
> Studio.
>
> Any suggestions would be apprecitated.
>
> Thanks!

PeterKellner

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 11:35:02 -0700, Dabbler
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Is there a way to use the website administration tool from the hosting server
>instead of localhost? I need a way for my client to be able to maintain
>members and roles and they obviously won't be using Visual Studio.
>
>Any suggestions would be apprecitated.
>
>Thanks!

I wrote an Article on MSDN about this.

http://peterkellner.net/?p=24

I had the same problem and did not see a solution. Microsoft
published it because they see it as a good solution. There is a way
to make the app built into visual studio work on IIS but it creates
security concerns. According to MS, it does not prevent cross domain
type attacks.

Good Luck.
Peter Kellner
http://peterkellner.net