Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > Exception adding user with no email

Exception adding user with no email

David Thielen

Hi;

When I add a user using the SqlMembershipProvider (I have
requiresUniqueEmail="false") and use CreateUser(name, password) - ie no email
address, the user is created but CreateUser throws an exception saying the
user already exists.

Any idea why?

--
thanks - dave
david_at_windward_dot_net

Luke Zhang [MSFT]

Hello Dave,

The problem may not be with email since you have set
requiresUniqueEmail="false", have you double check if the user has existed
in the database? You may open the ASP.NET Web Site Administration Tool ,
select Security/Manage Users, you can see all registered users here, and
you can try a different user name again to see if it can work.

Regards,

Luke Zhang
Microsoft Online Community Support

rights.)

David Thielen

The user did not exist (I had 0 when I first started testing this). And once
I gave them an email it worked. I think the SqlMembership code may require an
email - it doesn't have to be unique but it can't be null.