Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > Membership problem!

Membership problem!

Sean

have membership tables installed on external SQL database? check
have login controls working such that new users are created in that table?
check
those users also show up in the asp management page? check
Can grab all the users in a memberhship collection object and they are all
valid and correct? check
form security set up? check
membership provider model setup? check

able to know who the current user is after login? no!
Thus my login status control doesnt work nor does my login name control.

I am completely lost. I have been fighting with this thing for so long I
could have made my own login methodology by now!

Sean

I cant believe this! If you basically ignore all example of how to set up
forms security in the web.config file and just place the following

<authentication mode="Forms" />

the membership frameworks starts to work properly! I log in and
membership.getuser() actually works!
Basically I took out all the settings and it works perfectly now.

"Sean" wrote:

> have membership tables installed on external SQL database? check
> have login controls working such that new users are created in that table?
> check
> those users also show up in the asp management page? check
> Can grab all the users in a memberhship collection object and they are all
> valid and correct? check
> form security set up? check
> membership provider model setup? check
>
> able to know who the current user is after login? no!
> Thus my login status control doesnt work nor does my login name control.
>

> I am completely lost. I have been fighting with this thing for so long I
> could have made my own login methodology by now!

Sean

no..I think I was doing two things wrong.

1. trying to evaluate the membershipuser on the same page that has the login.
Clearly the current member doesnt get established until after the page posts
back which leads to issue 2.
2. I have login and redirect in forms security as the same page becuase I
just wanted to get this moving. Becuase it wasnt posting to a new page on
validation the code objects never got filled