Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > Code Security

Code Security

Asim Qazi

Hi All
i m working on a webbased project which includes some classes which are
used to encode and decode passwords and authentication keys, i want that no
body should b able to use my classes, how can i make them hide or secure so
tha no one else is able to use my classes and methods.

aSIM.

Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor]

They are on the server, right?

So against whom do you try to secure those classes?

Web users?
Admins that have access to the server?
Other web applications on the same server?

Needless to say - if someone has admin access to the web server he can do
with your classes whatever he wants....

---------------------------------------
Dominick Baier - DevelopMentor
http://www.leastprivilege.com

> Hi All
> i m working on a webbased project which includes some classes
> which are
> used to encode and decode passwords and authentication keys, i want
> that no
> body should b able to use my classes, how can i make them hide or
> secure so tha no one else is able to use my classes and methods.
>
> aSIM.

Asim Qazi

its a product and we would have to sell it out to different customers,
even the demo or trial version would also be available for download,

so i want that nobody should use my classes.

i had tried it by making a simple windows application and added the refernce
of my webproject namespace, now all classes and functions are visible to me
and i can use them anywhere.

thanks for the reply.
aSIM.

"Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor]" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed). com...
> They are on the server, right?
>
> So against whom do you try to secure those classes?
>
> Web users?
> Admins that have access to the server?
> Other web applications on the same server?
>
> Needless to say - if someone has admin access to the web server he can do
> with your classes whatever he wants....
>
> ---------------------------------------
> Dominick Baier - DevelopMentor
> http://www.leastprivilege.com
>
> > Hi All
> > i m working on a webbased project which includes some classes
> > which are
> > used to encode and decode passwords and authentication keys, i want
> > that no
> > body should b able to use my classes, how can i make them hide or
> > secure so tha no one else is able to use my classes and methods.
> >
> > aSIM.

Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor]

yes - -

and there is nothing you can do about that - if you give away your binaries
- ppl can use them (also in ways not intended by you)

consolidate all "dangerous" code in a web service - and give only the clients
away...

---------------------------------------
Dominick Baier - DevelopMentor
http://www.leastprivilege.com

> its a product and we would have to sell it out to different customers,
> even the demo or trial version would also be available for download,
>
> so i want that nobody should use my classes.
>
> i had tried it by making a simple windows application and added the
> refernce of my webproject namespace, now all classes and functions are
> visible to me and i can use them anywhere.
>
> thanks for the reply.
> aSIM.
> "Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor]"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). com...
>
>> They are on the server, right?
>>
>> So against whom do you try to secure those classes?
>>
>> Web users?
>> Admins that have access to the server?
>> Other web applications on the same server?
>> Needless to say - if someone has admin access to the web server he
>> can do with your classes whatever he wants....
>>
>> ---------------------------------------
>> Dominick Baier - DevelopMentor
>> http://www.leastprivilege.com
>>> Hi All
>>> i m working on a webbased project which includes some classes
>>> which are
>>> used to encode and decode passwords and authentication keys, i want
>>> that no
>>> body should b able to use my classes, how can i make them hide or
>>> secure so tha no one else is able to use my classes and methods.
>>> aSIM.

jeff

Build your code into a DLL will protect it from prying eyes. However DLL's
can eventually be deconstructed. Try to be a little clever by naming the
assembly some silly name OR go so far as to strong naming your assembly and
putting in the global assembly cache.