Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > What hardware do I purchase?

What hardware do I purchase?

Michael T

"Bobbee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Seems to make sense to connect my desktop wirelessly, but now I am
> questioning the
> intelligence in that. Ugh!

I just spent the last week setting up a home network. On my network is a
Dell desktop (wired) and a Dell laptop (wireless). So I am almost as new to
this as you are. But I do recall that someone posted that if you are
considering file sharing you may experience faster file transfers if your
desktop is wired instead of wireless.

=?Utf-8?B?Qm9iYmVl?=

Thanks Michael. I am ok with one being wired and the other wireless. I just
need to know what equipment to buy to make it happen.

"Michael T" wrote:

> "Bobbee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > Seems to make sense to connect my desktop wirelessly, but now I am
> > questioning the
> > intelligence in that. Ugh!
> >

> I just spent the last week setting up a home network. On my network is a
> Dell desktop (wired) and a Dell laptop (wireless). So I am almost as new to
> this as you are. But I do recall that someone posted that if you are
> considering file sharing you may experience faster file transfers if your
> desktop is wired instead of wireless.

=?Utf-8?B?Qm9iYmVl?=

Malke, somehow I missed your post! Thanks for that link. It looks like I
need a usb adapter for my desktop. WAY cool!

"Malke" wrote:

> Tom Lake wrote:
>
> > "Bobbee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>I am confused. Can I network without a network card?

> > The laptop already has a wireless network card built-in. You don't
> > need to purchase another one for it.
> >
> > Tom Lake

> No, you cannot network without a network card. But you've told us you
> have a modern laptop which has built-in wireless and I'm sure also
> built-in ethernet. You haven't told us anything about your desktop. If
> it is fairly new, it probably has built-in ethernet. If it is old or
> doesn't have built-in ethernet, you'd need either a network card for
> wired or a network card for wireless. Here is a link to information
> about wireless/wired networking that may be helpful to you:
>
> Linksys Learning Center - http://tinyurl.com/8ka4w
>
> Of course you don't have to buy Linksys, but their Learning Center is
> quite well done.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Quaoar

"Bobbee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Malke, somehow I missed your post! Thanks for that link. It looks
> like I
> need a usb adapter for my desktop. WAY cool!
>
> "Malke" wrote:
>
>> Tom Lake wrote:
>>
>> > "Bobbee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >
>> > The laptop already has a wireless network card built-in. You don't
>> > need to purchase another one for it.
>> >
>> > Tom Lake

>> No, you cannot network without a network card. But you've told us you
>> have a modern laptop which has built-in wireless and I'm sure also
>> built-in ethernet. You haven't told us anything about your desktop.
>> If
>> it is fairly new, it probably has built-in ethernet. If it is old or
>> doesn't have built-in ethernet, you'd need either a network card for
>> wired or a network card for wireless. Here is a link to information
>> about wireless/wired networking that may be helpful to you:
>>
>> Linksys Learning Center - http://tinyurl.com/8ka4w
>>
>> Of course you don't have to buy Linksys, but their Learning Center is
>> quite well done.
>>
>> Malke
>> --
>> Elephant Boy Computers
>> www.elephantboycomputers.com
>> "Don't Panic!"
>> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Wireless management is getting easier, but I still recommend that all
those new to networking and to wireless, in particular, to have one
computer with the ability to switch to a wired (Ethernet, cat5 cable)
connection. It is very easy to lock oneself out of the wireless network
entirely and a wired connection to the router will save your bacon.
(What does that mean, anyway?)