Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > Error reading configuration information from the registry

Error reading configuration information from the registry

Toty Santana

I am trying to store the username and password in the registry using the
(aspnet_setreg.exe) tool, and then add registry pointers in the web.config
file

<identity impersonate="true"
userName="registry:HKLM\SOFTWARE\OHS\identity\ASPN ET_SETREG,userName"
password="registry:HKLM\SOFTWARE\OHS\identity\ASPN ET_SETREG,password"/>

I am using VS 2005 and the above mechanism works when I am debugging the
application using VS development server (the builtin IIS that comes with VS
2005) but when I deploy the application to IIS 5 on the same machine I
receive the following error

(Error reading configuration information from the registry)

I thought it is a registry permissions error but I tested the application on
the same machine.
Any help will be appreciated.

Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor]

I guess this is ACL related - check if the ASPNET account has read access
to the registry keys...

---------------------------------------
Dominick Baier - DevelopMentor
http://www.leastprivilege.com

> I am trying to store the username and password in the registry using
> the (aspnet_setreg.exe) tool, and then add registry pointers in the
> web.config file
>
> <identity impersonate="true"
> userName="registry:HKLM\SOFTWARE\OHS\identity\ASPN ET_SETREG,userName"
> password="registry:HKLM\SOFTWARE\OHS\identity\ASPN ET_SETREG,password"/
> >

> I am using VS 2005 and the above mechanism works when I am debugging
> the application using VS development server (the builtin IIS that
> comes with VS 2005) but when I deploy the application to IIS 5 on the
> same machine I receive the following error
>
> (Error reading configuration information from the registry)
>
> I thought it is a registry permissions error but I tested the
> application on
> the same machine.
> Any help will be appreciated.

Toty Santana

i've just did it, thank you

"Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor]" wrote:

> I guess this is ACL related - check if the ASPNET account has read access
> to the registry keys...
>
> ---------------------------------------
> Dominick Baier - DevelopMentor
> http://www.leastprivilege.com
>
> > I am trying to store the username and password in the registry using
> > the (aspnet_setreg.exe) tool, and then add registry pointers in the
> > web.config file
> >
> > <identity impersonate="true"
> > userName="registry:HKLM\SOFTWARE\OHS\identity\ASPN ET_SETREG,userName"
> > password="registry:HKLM\SOFTWARE\OHS\identity\ASPN ET_SETREG,password"/
> > >

> > I am using VS 2005 and the above mechanism works when I am debugging
> > the application using VS development server (the builtin IIS that
> > comes with VS 2005) but when I deploy the application to IIS 5 on the
> > same machine I receive the following error
> >
> > (Error reading configuration information from the registry)
> >
> > I thought it is a registry permissions error but I tested the
> > application on
> > the same machine.
> > Any help will be appreciated.

Toty Santana

i've just done it , thank you

"Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor]" wrote:

> I guess this is ACL related - check if the ASPNET account has read access
> to the registry keys...
>
> ---------------------------------------
> Dominick Baier - DevelopMentor
> http://www.leastprivilege.com
>
> > I am trying to store the username and password in the registry using
> > the (aspnet_setreg.exe) tool, and then add registry pointers in the
> > web.config file
> >
> > <identity impersonate="true"
> > userName="registry:HKLM\SOFTWARE\OHS\identity\ASPN ET_SETREG,userName"
> > password="registry:HKLM\SOFTWARE\OHS\identity\ASPN ET_SETREG,password"/
> > >

> > I am using VS 2005 and the above mechanism works when I am debugging
> > the application using VS development server (the builtin IIS that
> > comes with VS 2005) but when I deploy the application to IIS 5 on the
> > same machine I receive the following error
> >
> > (Error reading configuration information from the registry)
> >
> > I thought it is a registry permissions error but I tested the
> > application on
> > the same machine.
> > Any help will be appreciated.

Luke Zhang [MSFT]

Did you use impersonate in the ASP.NET application? What is the exact error
message? When using VS development server , it will use your current log on
user account to access the resgitry entries; When deploy to IIS 5, it may
use ASPNET account. Maybe you can temporarily set the registry entry
HKLM\SOFTWARE\OHS\identity\ to everyone, to see if this can help. If this
work, it should be a regsitry permission issue.

Luke Zhang
rights.)