Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > Password and ConfirmPassword Fields Are Empty in CreateUserWizard

Password and ConfirmPassword Fields Are Empty in CreateUserWizard

EagleRed@HighFlyingBirds.com

I am writing an ASP.NET 2.0 application using Forms Authentication and a SQL
Server 2005 database that was created using the aspnet_regsql utiliity. The
database does not use the default name, aspnetdb. I am setting up a page
using the CreateUserWizard to allow new users to register with the site. The
wizard has two pages, the first to allow input of user information including
the Password and ConfirmPassword textboxes, and the second to enter other
information such as company information that will not be used in the
Membership API. The first page is built using the CreateUserWizardStep and
ContentTemplate with the StartNavigaionTemplate feature. This setups up a
"Next" button on the first page.
When I run the application in the debugger and enter the information I get
an error as follows:

Password length minimum: 6. Non-alphanumeric characters required: 1.

The Password and ConfirmPassword controls are displayed as empty event
though I can retrieve the input from both in the "Next" button handler from
the CreateWizard1.Password value. What is going on? Why is this failing and
how can I get past this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor]

Hi,

does your password meet the complexity requirements?

---------------------------------------
Dominick Baier - DevelopMentor
http://www.leastprivilege.com

> I am writing an ASP.NET 2.0 application using Forms Authentication and
> a SQL
> Server 2005 database that was created using the aspnet_regsql
> utiliity. The
> database does not use the default name, aspnetdb. I am setting up a
> page
> using the CreateUserWizard to allow new users to register with the
> site. The
> wizard has two pages, the first to allow input of user information
> including
> the Password and ConfirmPassword textboxes, and the second to enter
> other
> information such as company information that will not be used in the
> Membership API. The first page is built using the
> CreateUserWizardStep and
> ContentTemplate with the StartNavigaionTemplate feature. This setups
> up a
> "Next" button on the first page.
> When I run the application in the debugger and enter the information I
> get
> an error as follows:
> Password length minimum: 6. Non-alphanumeric characters required: 1.
>
> The Password and ConfirmPassword controls are displayed as empty event
> though I can retrieve the input from both in the "Next" button handler
> from the CreateWizard1.Password value. What is going on? Why is this
> failing and how can I get past this?

EagleRed@HighFlyingBirds.com

Yes.

Actually I am really trying to set
minRequiredNonalphanumericCharacters="0". I ran into this problem and
deleted this from the web.config. So, I was using the regular expression,
"[\w\W]{6-12}", for the passwordStrengthRegularExpression attribute. The
password was "w!99hthr". When I removed the
passwordStrengthRegularExpression attribute from the web.config I was able to
get to the second page. I assume there is some defaualt regular expression
that is applied.

I expect to be doing this a lot because the app users will resist using
really strong passwords with non-alphanumeric characters. I expect to use
the regular expression, "\w{6-12}". Is this the behavior when the entered
password fails to match the passwordStrengthRegularExpression attribute?