Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Cannot see wireless network

Cannot see wireless network

=?Utf-8?B?a3VydG0=?=

Similar installations, 3com 3crwe454g72. Same ssid, same wepkey, broadcast off.
Ibm laptop's, some older, some new.
Can log on to some AP's, but can't see the other, even if the configuration
are the same. Have also upgraded everything.
What is disrupting the signal? Any experienses? I have just read about
wireless keyboards in near of the AP. Could it be that simple?
At home some can't see the AP. When they bring the AP and laptop with them
out of the house and set it up at work, there are no problem.

Out of 140, 9 have these problems. I have put in new networkcards and
another AP, but the problems are still there.

I wonder what could be the reason here? I'm not a newbie, and have tried
all I can think of.
Thanks for comments.

=?Utf-8?B?SmVzc2Vy?=

For what its worth, are some of the laptops running different versions of
firewall software? Ive just set up a wireless network with the machines
running Norton Internet Security 2005. This blocks just about everything
that you try to do as a default - everything must be added explicitly as
trusted before one machine will even accept the existence of another on the
network. Earlier versions may not have such strong blocks.

For me, it looked as though the network did not exist, even when it was
functioning properly - and it takes a while even for experienced people to
work out as you assume that the fault must be in the network settings rather
than third party software. Norton also allows you to set up machines as
trusted within a specified number range - add one more that exceeds the range
(and is automatically allocated when the lapton logs on) and that machine
wont be seen.

If this might be a problem for anyone out there, turn off Norton for a few
minutes and see if you can then connect to the missing units.