Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > ASP.NET 2.0 with ADAM - problem

ASP.NET 2.0 with ADAM - problem

news.blueyonder.co.uk

Hi,
I'm having problems with ASP.Net 2.0 web site connecting to AD Application
Mode instance for role management. I have been following the example shown
at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...aght000018.asp .

Now, this works a treat when I run the web app within VS2005 , but, the
moment I publish this and run it via IIS on the local machine , i get the
following error:

Server Error in '/' Application.
----

Unable to update the password. The value provided as the current password is
incorrect. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007052B)

Exception Details: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: Unable to
update the password. The value provided as the current password is
incorrect. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007052B)

Source Error:

Stack Trace:

[COMException (0x8007052b): Unable to update the password. The value
provided as the current password is incorrect. (Exception from HRESULT:
0x8007052B)]

[TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an
invocation.]
System.RuntimeType.InvokeDispMethod(String name, BindingFlags invokeAttr,
Object target, Object[] args, Boolean[] byrefModifiers, Int32 culture,
String[] namedParameters) +0
System.RuntimeType.InvokeMember(String name, BindingFlags bindingFlags,
Binder binder, Object target, Object[] providedArgs, ParameterModifier[]
modifiers, CultureInfo culture, String[] namedParams) +2501232
System.Type.InvokeMember(String name, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder
binder, Object target, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture) +31
System.Web.Security.AuthorizationStoreRoleProvider .CallMethod(Object
objectToCallOn, String methodName, Object[] args) +178
System.Web.Security.AuthorizationStoreRoleProvider .InitApp() +1489
System.Web.Security.AuthorizationStoreRoleProvider .GetRole(String
roleName) +13
System.Web.Security.AuthorizationStoreRoleProvider .RoleExists(String
roleName) +154
System.Web.Security.Roles.RoleExists(String roleName) +242
_Default.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +71
System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller (IntPtr fp, Object o,
Object t, EventArgs e) +15
System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Cal lback(Object sender,
EventArgs e) +34
includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1061

----

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42; ASP.NET
Version:2.0.50727.42

OR the following when I publish to another machine:

Server Error in '/' Application.
----

The system cannot find the file specified. (Exception from HRESULT:
0x80070002)

Exception Details: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: The system cannot find
the file specified. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070002)

Source Error:

Stack Trace:

[FileNotFoundException: The system cannot find the file specified.
(Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070002)]

[TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an
invocation.]
System.RuntimeType.InvokeDispMethod(String name, BindingFlags invokeAttr,
Object target, Object[] args, Boolean[] byrefModifiers, Int32 culture,
String[] namedParameters) +0
System.RuntimeType.InvokeMember(String name, BindingFlags bindingFlags,
Binder binder, Object target, Object[] providedArgs, ParameterModifier[]
modifiers, CultureInfo culture, String[] namedParams) +2501504
System.Type.InvokeMember(String name, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder
binder, Object target, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture) +31
System.Web.Security.AuthorizationStoreRoleProvider .CallMethod(Object
objectToCallOn, String methodName, Object[] args) +178
System.Web.Security.AuthorizationStoreRoleProvider .InitApp() +1489
System.Web.Security.AuthorizationStoreRoleProvider .GetRole(String
roleName) +13
System.Web.Security.AuthorizationStoreRoleProvider .RoleExists(String
roleName) +154
System.Web.Security.Roles.RoleExists(String roleName) +242
_Default.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +13
System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller (IntPtr fp, Object o,
Object t, EventArgs e) +15
System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Cal lback(Object sender,
EventArgs e) +34
includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1061

----

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42; ASP.NET
Version:2.0.50727.42

There's obviously some sort of security problem here but I cant figure out
whereit is or how to fix it. In VS2005 I can even use the ASP.NET Web Site
Admin Tool to search the Role provider, create new roles etc.
I'm really stuck here. Can anyone help as I i've been going crazy over this
one!!!!

Thanks in advance.
Nick

Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor]

Hello news.blueyonder.co.uk,

under which account does your web app run - does this account have access
to ADAM?

is the account in the "reader" role in AzMan?

---------------------------------------
Dominick Baier - DevelopMentor
http://www.leastprivilege.com

> [...]
> _Default.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +13
> System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller (IntPtr fp,
> Object o,
> Object t, EventArgs e) +15
> System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Cal lback(Object
> sender,
> EventArgs e) +34
> +1061
> ------ ----
>
> Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42;
> ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.42
>
> There's obviously some sort of security problem here but I cant figure
> out
> whereit is or how to fix it. In VS2005 I can even use the ASP.NET Web
> Site
> Admin Tool to search the Role provider, create new roles etc.
> I'm really stuck here. Can anyone help as I i've been going crazy over

Nick McCulloch

"Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor]" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed). com...
> Hello news.blueyonder.co.uk,
>
> under which account does your web app run - does this account have access
> to ADAM?

The azMan setup on the other server allows NETWORK SERVICE to have
administrator rights.

> is the account in the "reader" role in AzMan?

This is the error from the application log:

Event code: 3005
Event message: An unhandled exception has occurred.
Event time: 03/12/2005 16:27:39
Event time (UTC): 03/12/2005 16:27:39
Event ID: e25adabd18f84335bbda77653d8b71bf
Event sequence: 9
Event occurrence: 2
Event detail code: 0

Application information:
Application domain: /LM/W3SVC/4/Root-12-127780996803758768
Trust level: Full
Application Virtual Path: /
Application Path: E:\Published Sites\AzMan\SITE\
Machine name: SUNDOWN

Process information:
Process ID: 1584
Process name: aspnet_wp.exe
Account name: SUNDOWN\ASPNET

Exception information:
Exception type: TargetInvocationException
Exception message: Exception has been thrown by the target of an
invocation.

Request information:
Request URL: http://localhost:83/Default.aspx
Request path: /Default.aspx
User host address: 127.0.0.1
User: SCOSOLUTIONS\bssnxm
Is authenticated: True
Authentication Type: NTLM
Thread account name: SUNDOWN\ASPNET

Thread information:
Thread ID: 6
Thread account name: SUNDOWN\ASPNET
Is impersonating: False
Stack trace: at System.RuntimeType.InvokeDispMethod(String name,
BindingFlags invokeAttr, Object target, Object[] args, Boolean[]
byrefModifiers, Int32 culture, String[] namedParameters)
at System.RuntimeType.InvokeMember(String name, BindingFlags
bindingFlags, Binder binder, Object target, Object[] providedArgs,
ParameterModifier[] modifiers, CultureInfo culture, String[] namedParams)
at System.Type.InvokeMember(String name, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder
binder, Object target, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture)
at System.Web.Security.AuthorizationStoreRoleProvider .CallMethod(Object
objectToCallOn, String methodName, Object[] args)
at System.Web.Security.AuthorizationStoreRoleProvider .InitApp()
at System.Web.Security.AuthorizationStoreRoleProvider .GetRole(String
roleName)
at System.Web.Security.AuthorizationStoreRoleProvider .RoleExists(String
roleName)
at System.Web.Security.Roles.RoleExists(String roleName)
at _Default.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller (IntPtr fp, Object
o, Object t, EventArgs e)
at System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Cal lback(Object sender,
EventArgs e)
at System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()

The setup is SUNDOWN, running Windows2000, ASP 2.0

ADAM setup on DELLSERVER running win2k3

Any ideas?

Regards,
Nick

> [...]
> > System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Cal lback(Object
> > sender,
> > EventArgs e) +34
> > System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +99
> > System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +47
> > System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean
> > includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
> > +1061
> > ------ ----
> >
> > Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42;
> > ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.42
> >
> > There's obviously some sort of security problem here but I cant figure
> > out
> > whereit is or how to fix it. In VS2005 I can even use the ASP.NET Web
> > Site
> > Admin Tool to search the Role provider, create new roles etc.
> > I'm really stuck here. Can anyone help as I i've been going crazy over

Hello Nick,

your web app runs as ASPNET -

the ASPNET account has no read access to the AzMan store ....

you have to change the processModel to run ASP.NET under a specific account
- or set a fixed impersonation in web.config - you have to use some account
that you can assign read ACLs on the target machine.

---------------------------------------
> [...]

> Object
> o, Object t, EventArgs e)
> at System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Cal lback(Object
> sender,
> EventArgs e)
> at System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
> at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()
> at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean
> The setup is SUNDOWN, running Windows2000, ASP 2.0
>
> ADAM setup on DELLSERVER running win2k3
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Regards,
> Nick
>> ---------------------------------------
>> Dominick Baier - DevelopMentor
>> http://www.leastprivilege.com
>>> Hi,
>>> I'm having problems with ASP.Net 2.0 web site connecting to AD
>>> Application
>>> Mode instance for role management. I have been following the example
>>> at
>>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...rary/en-us/dnp
>>> ag
> [...]
>>> EventArgs e) +34
>>> System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +99
>>> System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +47
>>> System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean
>>> includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
>>> +1061
>>> --
>>> ------ ----
>>> Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42;
>>> ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.42
>>>
>>> There's obviously some sort of security problem here but I cant
>>> figure
>>> out
>>> whereit is or how to fix it. In VS2005 I can even use the ASP.NET
>>> Web
>>> Site
>>> Admin Tool to search the Role provider, create new roles etc.
>>> I'm really stuck here. Can anyone help as I i've been going crazy
>>> this
>>> one!!!!
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>> Nick

Nick McCulloch

Dominick,
You're a star! Did a quick test changing the "identity" in web.config to
administrator and the results came back correctly.
Fantastic, thanks again!

BTW, what are the implications of changing the "identity" for the web app?
Should it be a "weak" account? Will I end up breaking something else if I
change this? What should I watch out for by doing this?

Nick

> [...]

> > roleName)
> > at
> > System.Web.Security.AuthorizationStoreRoleProvider .RoleExists(String
> > roleName)
> > at System.Web.Security.Roles.RoleExists(String roleName)
> > at _Default.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
> > at System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller (IntPtr fp,
> > Object
> > o, Object t, EventArgs e)
> > at System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Cal lback(Object
> > sender,
> > EventArgs e)
> > at System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
> > at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()
> > at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean
> > includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
> > The setup is SUNDOWN, running Windows2000, ASP 2.0

did you change the processModel oder <identity impersonate=..." />

??

---------------------------------------
> [...]

>>> Object
>>> o, Object t, EventArgs e)
>>> at System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Cal lback(Object
>>> sender,
>>> EventArgs e)
>>> at System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
>>> at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()
>>> at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean
>>> includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
>>> The setup is SUNDOWN, running Windows2000, ASP 2.0
>>> ADAM setup on DELLSERVER running win2k3
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Nick

Nick McCulloch

"Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor]" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed). com...
> Hello Nick,
>
> did you change the processModel oder <identity impersonate=..." />

web.config quick test has following

<identity impersonate="true" userName="scosolutions\administrator"
password="xxxxxx" />

BUT, I'm sure I dont want to use the Administrator level for this!!!
Is that where you were expecting the modification? I don't want to change
machine.config as that would impact all sites on the server.

Nick

Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor]

Hello Nick,

this means that the request is executed with the specified credentials. You
should not go for administrator

Choose a normal user account - and give this account read access to the AzMan
store..

---------------------------------------
Dominick Baier - DevelopMentor
http://www.leastprivilege.com

> "Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor]"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). com...
>
>> Hello Nick,
>>
>> did you change the processModel oder <identity impersonate=..." />
>>
>> ??
>>

> web.config quick test has following
>
> <identity impersonate="true" userName="scosolutions\administrator"
> password="xxxxxx" />
> BUT, I'm sure I dont want to use the Administrator level for this!!!
> Is that where you were expecting the modification? I don't want to
> change
> machine.config as that would impact all sites on the server.
> Nick

Nick McCulloch

Thanks Dominick. Your help is much appreciated!
Nick