Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > asp.net 2.0 memerbership provider/management

asp.net 2.0 memerbership provider/management

TdarTdar

HI,
I have a couple of questions?

1. how can I manage the NEW asp.net 2 users and roles on my windows 2k system?
(Right now if i go into site administration i gives me that old front page
server extensions 2002 site administration for users and roles and it does
not find users created with the regsiter user control so i can change them
into the proper role. If i use the web server that is in visual studio on an
unpublished site i can use the asp.net configuration tool in the website
dropdown. When I connect to the publish site it does not show up and i cannot
configure it from My visual studio 2005(release)

I thought... it have something to do with this windows 2000 authorization
manager runtime, but i cannot get that working. ie too complicated for me i
guess.

I need help to get this working, I love the new login controls and want to
use them badly and i hope that i am not limited due to being on windows 2k
for the internal systems. )

2. I am using my own database and ran the tool to setup the membership
tables in this, did something change with the release version since the beta
because now i just get errors like " Procedure or function
aspnet_Membership_GetPasswordWithFormat has too many arguments specified."?

(I am going to delete and recreate the tables using the tool now in case
there was a change, but still want to know if that really is the case or if
there is another factor here that i am not seeing.)

[MSFT]

Hello,

For a IIS 6.0 web site with .NET 2.0 framework installed, we can use the
ASP.NET Web Site Administration Tool to manage the roles. To use the tool,
you must have Read and Write permissions to the Web.config file and the
App_Data folder of the application being administered. If you cannot manage
the configuration for the Web site using the Web Site Administration Tool,
it is better to contact the system administrator of the web site.

The database schema has changed slightly between beta and final version. We
need to delete/rebuild these tables with aspnet_regsql.exe in final version.

Hope this help,

Luke

TdarTdar

Hello,
When reinstalled the sql tables that worked fine.

I am the server administrator. I am cerious that ASP.NET Web Site
Administration Tool is there a more detailed how to faq on that?

"[MSFT]" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> For a IIS 6.0 web site with .NET 2.0 framework installed, we can use the
> ASP.NET Web Site Administration Tool to manage the roles. To use the tool,
> you must have Read and Write permissions to the Web.config file and the
> App_Data folder of the application being administered. If you cannot manage
> the configuration for the Web site using the Web Site Administration Tool,
> it is better to contact the system administrator of the web site.
>
> The database schema has changed slightly between beta and final version. We
> need to delete/rebuild these tables with aspnet_regsql.exe in final version.
>
> Hope this help,
>
> Luke

[MSFT]

Hello,

You may take a look at following article:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...US,VS.80).aspx

Especially, these four sections:

Creating and Configuring the Application Services Database for SQL Server
How-to Topics Configuring ASP.NET Applications
Walkthrough Topics Configuring ASP.NET Applications
Samples Configuring ASP.NET Applications

Luke

TdarTdar

I have the site setup for asp.net 2 i even have the membership role etc
databases setup, I ran the install program for the ASP.NET Web Site
Administration Tool after install the tool there is no info on how to use it
what i need to do from there, I seen that page about the tool that does
nothing more then describe its use, step 1: install the tool... step 2: do
this... step 3 do that
and there you are open inside the tool...

"[MSFT]" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> You may take a look at following article:
>
> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...US,VS.80).aspx
>
> Especially, these four sections:
>
> Creating and Configuring the Application Services Database for SQL Server
> How-to Topics ¡ª Configuring ASP.NET Applications
> Walkthrough Topics ¡ª Configuring ASP.NET Applications
> Samples ¡ª Configuring ASP.NET Applications
>
> Luke

[MSFT]

Hello,

Can you connect to the web site with VS.NET 2005? If so, there are may ways
to open the admin tool in VS.NET 2005:

Click the "Administrator Website" from dropdown menu of Login control.
Click "ASP.NET Configration" in solution explorer window
Click "ASP.NET Configration" from Menu "website"

Did all these failed?

To run the tool on remote server, your account will need enough permission
to start an ASP.NET application. Also, please make sure there is no
firewall/proxy between the client and the server. The tool require a random
port.

Luke

TdarTdar

Ok,
Lets see:
> Click the "Administrator Website" from dropdown menu of Login control.
> Click "ASP.NET Configration" in solution explorer window
> Click "ASP.NET Configration" from Menu "website"

does not show up when i connet to the website, so yes to your question did
these fail.

> To run the tool on remote server,

what tool the "Windows 2000 authorization manager runtime"

Did that.
> your account will need enough permission to start an ASP.NET application

My accout, the asp.net account, have full administrator rights to the entire
network

>. Also, please make sure there is no
> firewall/proxy between the client and the server. The tool require a random
> port.

There are no firewall/proxy between my system and the server. There is none
on the server and my windows xp fire wall is off, and i have no other thrid
party firewall service.

how do i verify that the microsoft.interop.security.azoles.dll is setup
right, if that is what hosts the pages to manage the users/roles in asp.net
2.

where do we go from here to get this working, as i am beyond stressed that
this is not working, should I use a support incident ?

"[MSFT]" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Can you connect to the web site with VS.NET 2005? If so, there are may ways
> to open the admin tool in VS.NET 2005:
>
> Click the "Administrator Website" from dropdown menu of Login control.
> Click "ASP.NET Configration" in solution explorer window
> Click "ASP.NET Configration" from Menu "website"
>
> Did all these failed?
>
> To run the tool on remote server, your account will need enough permission
> to start an ASP.NET application. Also, please make sure there is no
> firewall/proxy between the client and the server. The tool require a random
> port.
>
> Luke

[MSFT]

On the traget server, is .NET framework 2.0 installed? And is the IIS
regsitered with ASP.NET 2.0?

If it is still no luck, I suggest you may submit a support incident will
phone call whcih may help you get around the issue promptly.

Luke

TdarTdar

Yeah asp.net 2 is installed and even in the sites iis properties, and i have
even selected the iis 2 in the what asp.net i am using for the site, so yes
it is registered, i think i will call on that one. I guess the only other way
would be to adjust the
database manually or thru your Stored procedures, thanks for your help in
this and the other matter of location's

"[MSFT]" wrote:

> On the traget server, is .NET framework 2.0 installed? And is the IIS
> regsitered with ASP.NET 2.0?
>
> If it is still no luck, I suggest you may submit a support incident will
> phone call whcih may help you get around the issue promptly.
>
> Luke

tbrummel

Did you get anywhere on this? I know your problem is not Widnows 2000 since
I've got the exact same issue on my home network running Windows Server 2003.
I am an admin and I see the ASP.NET Configuration option only for local
websites. Once the site is hosted by IIS on the 2003 Server machine, the
option in Visual Studio disappears.

It sounds like a lot of people on this group are running into the same thing
but there is no clear answer. Is it supposed to work or not?? MS says that
as long as you have read/write access to web.config and the data directory,
all should be well.

We know that's not the case Any help would be appreciated.

Tony