Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Store ASP.NET project files remotely, run project locally?

Store ASP.NET project files remotely, run project locally?

Raterus

Hi, I'm after this setup, and I'm just wondering if this is even feasible.

I'd like to store my asp.net project remotely, on a network drive (all the project files, everything), But I want to be able to run the project on my local computer, off my local IIS server/asp.net configuration.

Here is what I've done, I've set up an IIS virtual drive that has the alias I want locally, and points to this network drive. I entered in my username/password to access the network drive. I do see an "Error" icon where the normal application icon would be after I added it, but I don't know how to see this error, and it really doesn't seem to affect anything, I see the files in the directory after adding it, and it works as far as I can tell.

Here's where I start getting errors, if I try to create a new project in this directory, after entering the project location "http://localhost/myvirtualdirectory" I get an authentication screen with what appears to be my local computer (it has mycomputername.mydomain.com) But entering my crendentials appears to not work (it just gives me the login screen again).

Is there a better way I should be going about this? Or can this just not be done?
Thanks
--Michael

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

I was going to mention a kludge to get this working, but decided that a) it
does not work in many instances and b) it is not wise. To get this type of
scenario working, you end up with far too many kludges and burn perf on too
many machines. Best to can the idea.

If you truly need an app to run locally, or parts of an app, create that
funcationlity in a WIndowsForm app that uses "no touch" deployment from
ASP.NET. It is a clean method of keeping the code base on the server (one
place to update), while allowing the fat client to actually run the code.
Not great for all scenarios, but it works fine in those that need a
distributed architecture with the safety of a single code base.

For web apps, you can have a local copy (perhaps a dev copy) and deploy on a
regular cycle to the production machine. VS.NET copy project works well in
many, if not most, scenarios (as does Windows Explorer drag and drop ;->).
If you need to sync up to an app database, code the flexibility into your
application through some form of config. But, running an app off a virtual
directory on a remote machine is just too error prone to suggest.

May not be the answer you would like, but you end up opening a lot of holes
when you start kludging the network.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think Outside the Box!
"Raterus" <raterus@localhost> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
[...]

Joe Fallon

I use VSS to store the project remotely.
This leaves me with a local copy to run and edit.
I check out files and edit them and test them and then check them in so the
remote server is always up to date.
Has worked well (over a VPN) for over 5 months now.
(Once we turned off the Virus scanner that bogged it down!)
--
Joe Fallon

"Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...