Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > bypass forms authentication on local?

bypass forms authentication on local?

Tim_Mac

hi,
i'm the sort of developer who tests and develops at the same time, so i
encounter a problem, re-compile the project and try again. this usually
involves re-posting a form.
the problem is i use forms authentication, so when i recompile, i get
redirected back to the login page, have to log in, fill out the form
again and submit.
is there a way to bypass forms authentication while browsing on
localhost?

the forms authentication is quite integrated with the whole app so it
isn't as simple to just turn off forms auth for development.

i'm guessing lots of people must encounter this, any work-arounds?
thanks
tim

[MSFT]

Hello Tim,

When we re-complie an ASP.NET project, the application will be restart so
that all session will be clear. Form authentication rely on ASP.NET
seesion. I think we cannot get around this. The easiest should be disable
form authentication when you test.

Luke

Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor]

Hello [MSFT],

FormsAuthentication does NOT rely on the session. It uses cookies - you can
use a flaw in formsauth to make your life easier - use a persistent cookie
(microsoft was kind enough to choose 50 years as the default expiration time).

in other words : never use persistent cookies in production.

---------------------------------------
Dominick Baier - DevelopMentor
http://www.leastprivilege.com

> Hello Tim,
>
> When we re-complie an ASP.NET project, the application will be restart
> so that all session will be clear. Form authentication rely on ASP.NET
> seesion. I think we cannot get around this. The easiest should be
> disable form authentication when you test.
>
> Luke

Tim_Mac

hi Dominick
that did it. thanks for the tip!