Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > Windows Authentication and Domain Suffixes

Windows Authentication and Domain Suffixes

ericmatz

I've been baffled by this for awhile now. I have a simple site set up to use
Windows Authentication, with an allow="*" and deny="?" to allow only domain
users. The web server is Win2003 and is not exposed to the internet. If I
access the site with the URL http://myserver/mysite/, I can access it without
a challenge/response dialog and it picks up my credentials. However, if I
access the site with the URL http://myserver.mycompany.com/mysite/, I get a
challenge/response dialog and have to enter my domain credentials. I suspect
this issue is related to the domain or DNS or perhaps IIS, but I doubt there
is any ASP.NET configuration issue. Anyone ever experience this problem?

Thanks in advance!

Brock Allen

Keith discusses this here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/is...ecurityBriefs/

-Brock
DevelopMentor
http://staff.develop.com/ballen

> I've been baffled by this for awhile now. I have a simple site set up
> to use Windows Authentication, with an allow="*" and deny="?" to allow
> only domain users. The web server is Win2003 and is not exposed to
> the internet. If I access the site with the URL
> http://myserver/mysite/, I can access it without a challenge/response
> dialog and it picks up my credentials. However, if I access the site
> with the URL http://myserver.mycompany.com/mysite/, I get a
> challenge/response dialog and have to enter my domain credentials. I
> suspect this issue is related to the domain or DNS or perhaps IIS, but
> I doubt there is any ASP.NET configuration issue. Anyone ever
> experience this problem?
>
> Thanks in advance!

ericmatz

Thanks, Brock! That is EXACTLY what I needed. It even gave me the
justification I need to go to my domain admins and request that this be added
to our local security policy.