Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > security question...

security question...

Ollie Riches

We have a windows media licensing sever that is generating licenses and
delivering them via HTTPHandler inside an asp.net website, we have
configured this to run under a secure domain account as described in MSDN.

But the problem we have encountered is that it appears the licensing server
requires local admin rights to work correctly - when we added the domain
account to the local admin group then everything worked correctly. I guess
that by adding the domain account to the local admin groupt we have now
granted the correct permissions to access the registry or another sensitive
resource on the server (windows 2003).

Can anyone tell me what permissions I would have to granted to what objects
so that we don't have to run the website in question with local admin
rights?

Oh and before anyone says it I do know that granting local admin rights is a
rather large security whole

Cheers and thanks inadvance

Ollie Riches