Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > WinForm via internet; local permissions question

WinForm via internet; local permissions question

Gary

I would be grateful for the answers to two questions, and for any other
suggestions people might have.

1. When a WinForms app is put on a webserver and is deployed to users via
the Internet, is it possible to make the app quit if the user lacks machine
admin privileges on his PC?

2. Is it possible to prevent an ASP.NET webform from being used at a public
computer terminal?

BACKGROUND
I'm supposed to write an application that replaces a legacy paper system
where sensitive information was previously transmitted to headquarters by a
few thousand people in the field using the good old fax machine. Likewise,
sensitive information was sent out to them by fax.

I think we can attain almost the level of security that the legacy fax
machine application had, if we mailed out disks containing a WinForms/SSL
app to these users in the field. But if we set up a secure area on our
webserver where these users would be authenticated and then accessed the
WinForms/SSL app from there, is it possible for the WinForm app to require
that the user have local machine admin privileges?

My boss would prefer ASP.NET because it is has the fewest deployment
headaches. But I think it's impossible to guarantee that these people in the
field would be accessing the webform from the privacy of their home offices
and not from a public computer terminal at the airport. Not unless we set up
a few thousand VPNs. Am I right about that?

Thanks
Gary