Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > Other than BuiltIn groups for Windows Authentication

Other than BuiltIn groups for Windows Authentication

Joey Lee

Hi,

I am using windows authentication on my ASP.Net application. With the
WindowsPrincipal I can authenticate myself against groups such as

BUILTIN\Users

I am assuming that this group is supplied by the active directory when i log
into the domain using my pc.

The problem now is I have added another custom group - Gamers. I tried
authentication using IsInRole("Gamers") but this give me false. How do I do
it with Windows Authentication for this new group?

I have another way of doing this but that is using ldap authentication, but
I am trying to understand and make the Windows Authentication work. Please
help. Thanks

Joey

Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor]

Hello Joey,

WindowsPrincipal.IsInRole expects fully qualified group names - these are
AUTHORITY\GROUP

e.g. DOMAIN\Gamers for domain accounts

or MyMachine\Gamers for local accounts

---------------------------------------
Dominick Baier - DevelopMentor
http://www.leastprivilege.com

> Hi,
>
> I am using windows authentication on my ASP.Net application. With the
> WindowsPrincipal I can authenticate myself against groups such as
>
> BUILTIN\Users
>
> I am assuming that this group is supplied by the active directory when
> i log into the domain using my pc.
>
> The problem now is I have added another custom group - Gamers. I tried
> authentication using IsInRole("Gamers") but this give me false. How do
> I do it with Windows Authentication for this new group?
>
> I have another way of doing this but that is using ldap
> authentication, but I am trying to understand and make the Windows
> Authentication work. Please help. Thanks
>
> Joey

Joey Lee

Hi,

I tried <domain>\Gamers but it does not work

Here is my code

Class File
AppDomain.CurrentDomain.SetPrincipalPolicy(Princip alPolicy.WindowsPrincipal);
WindowsPrincipal prin = (WindowsPrincipal)Thread.CurrentPrincipal;
WindowsIdentity identity = (WindowsIdentity)prin.Identity;

Web config
<authentication mode="Windows">
</authentication>
<identity impersonate="true"/>

When I try to get the role thru this code below which i found on the web

Code--------------------------------------------------------------------------
public static string GetUserRoles(WindowsPrincipal winPrincipal)
{
string userRoles = "";
WindowsIdentity identity = winPrincipal.Identity as WindowsIdentity;

if (identity != null)
{
Type t = identity.GetType();
string[] roles = (string[]) t.InvokeMember("GetRoles",
BindingFlags.Instance | BindingFlags.NonPublic |
BindingFlags.InvokeMethod,null,identity,null);

if (roles != null)
{
foreach (string role in roles)
{
if(userRoles != "")
{
userRoles += ",";
}
userRoles += role;
}
}
}
return userRoles;
}

I got the results as following

<domainname>\Domain Users,Everyone,BUILTIN\Administrators,BUILTIN\User s,NT
AUTHORITY\INTERACTIVE,NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users,,LOCAL,

It does not have <domainname\Gamers>

However by using LDAP i am able to get CN=Gamers

Did I configure something wrong?.Thanks

Joey

"Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor]" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hello Joey,
>
> WindowsPrincipal.IsInRole expects fully qualified group names - these are
> AUTHORITY\GROUP
>
> e.g. DOMAIN\Gamers for domain accounts
>
> or MyMachine\Gamers for local accounts
>

> ---------------------------------------
> Dominick Baier - DevelopMentor
> http://www.leastprivilege.com
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am using windows authentication on my ASP.Net application. With the
>> WindowsPrincipal I can authenticate myself against groups such as
>>
>> BUILTIN\Users
>>
>> I am assuming that this group is supplied by the active directory when
>> i log into the domain using my pc.
>>
>> The problem now is I have added another custom group - Gamers. I tried
>> authentication using IsInRole("Gamers") but this give me false. How do
>> I do it with Windows Authentication for this new group?
>>
>> I have another way of doing this but that is using ldap
>> authentication, but I am trying to understand and make the Windows
>> Authentication work. Please help. Thanks
>>
>> Joey

Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor]

Hello Joey,

does you worker process run under a domain account, is your web server joined
to a domain ?? (which OS)

it seems you are authenticating with a local user account, could that be??

you don't need PrincipalPolicy - don't use that under ASP.NET - it is only
for desktop apps.

simply calling Context.User will give you the WindowsPrincipal of the client.
(or in class files HttpContext.Current.User)

be aware that this "hack" to get all groups of a user will not work when
updating to 2.0

another test is call whoami /groups from the command line to see which groups
the account is member of...

---------------------------------------
> [...]

>> ---------------------------------------
>> Dominick Baier - DevelopMentor
>> http://www.leastprivilege.com
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am using windows authentication on my ASP.Net application. With
>>> the WindowsPrincipal I can authenticate myself against groups such
>>> as
>>>
>>> BUILTIN\Users
>>>
>>> I am assuming that this group is supplied by the active directory
>>> when i log into the domain using my pc.
>>>
>>> The problem now is I have added another custom group - Gamers. I
>>> tried authentication using IsInRole("Gamers") but this give me
>>> false. How do I do it with Windows Authentication for this new
>>> group?
>>>
>>> I have another way of doing this but that is using ldap
>>> authentication, but I am trying to understand and make the Windows
>>> Authentication work. Please help. Thanks

Joey Lee

Hi,

> does you worker process run under a domain account, is your web server
> joined to a domain ?? (which OS)

I am running my web server on my local pc(WinXP) which is log into the
domain.
The aspnet wp is running on ASPNET acc on my pc

> it seems you are authenticating with a local user account, could that be??

the user that i am using is <domainname>\joey - looking it up at the control
panel user account this user is under the domain and not my pcname like the
default administrator acc.

> you don't need PrincipalPolicy - don't use that under ASP.NET - it is only
> for desktop apps.
>
> simply calling Context.User will give you the WindowsPrincipal of the
> client. (or in class files HttpContext.Current.User)

ic. thanks

> be aware that this "hack" to get all groups of a user will not work when
> updating to 2.0
>
> another test is call whoami /groups from the command line to see which
> groups the account is member of...

ok. but i really need a way to get the groups as my folders have web.config
with <auth> on roles. to restrict user from accessing it. For normal form
authentication, this is the way i do it, but user wants the authentication
base on the windows user and the roles base on the group defined in AD. Is
there other code to do this instead of making a call to command line.

Thanks for the fast reply.

Joey

>> Hi,
>>
>> I tried <domain>\Gamers but it does not work
>>
>> Here is my code
>>
>> Class File
>> AppDomain.CurrentDomain.SetPrincipalPolicy(Princip alPolicy.WindowsPrin
>> cipal);
>> WindowsPrincipal prin = (WindowsPrincipal)Thread.CurrentPrincipal;
>> WindowsIdentity identity = (WindowsIdentity)prin.Identity;
>>
>> Web config
>> <authentication mode="Windows">
>> </authentication>
>> <identity impersonate="true"/>
>> When I try to get the role thru this code below which i found on the
>> web
>>
>> Code------------------------------------------------------------------
>> --------
>> public static string GetUserRoles(WindowsPrincipal winPrincipal)
>> {
>> string userRoles = "";
>> WindowsIdentity identity = winPrincipal.Identity as WindowsIdentity;
>> if (identity != null)
>> {
>> Type t = identity.GetType();
>> string[] roles = (string[]) t.InvokeMember("GetRoles",
>> BindingFlags.Instance | BindingFlags.NonPublic |
>> BindingFlags.InvokeMethod,null,identity,null);
>>
>> if (roles != null)
>> {
>> foreach (string role in roles)
>> {
>> if(userRoles != "")
>> {
>> userRoles += ",";
>> }
>> userRoles += role;
>> }
>> }
>> }
>> return userRoles;
>> }
>>
>> I got the results as following
>>
>> <domainname>\Domain
>> Users,Everyone,BUILTIN\Administrators,BUILTIN\User s,NT
>> AUTHORITY\INTERACTIVE,NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users,,LOCAL,
>>
>> It does not have <domainname\Gamers>
>>
>> However by using LDAP i am able to get CN=Gamers
>>
>> Did I configure something wrong?.Thanks
>>
>> Joey
>>
>> "Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor]"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>>
>>> Hello Joey,
>>>
>>> WindowsPrincipal.IsInRole expects fully qualified group names - these
>>> are AUTHORITY\GROUP
>>>
>>> e.g. DOMAIN\Gamers for domain accounts
>>>
>>> or MyMachine\Gamers for local accounts
>>>
>>> ---------------------------------------
>>> Dominick Baier - DevelopMentor
>>> http://www.leastprivilege.com

Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor]

Hello Joey,

ok - first - <authorization> elements also work for windows auth. No need
to do that manually.

What do you get when you do a simple

Response.Write(Context.User.Identity.Name) ??

what groups do you see if you run whoami /groups from the commandline??

---------------------------------------
> [...]

>>> BindingFlags.InvokeMethod,null,identity,null);
>>> if (roles != null)
>>> {
>>> foreach (string role in roles)
>>> {
>>> if(userRoles != "")
>>> {
>>> userRoles += ",";
>>> }
>>> userRoles += role;
>>> }
>>> }
>>> }
>>> return userRoles;
>>> }
>>> I got the results as following
>>>
>>> <domainname>\Domain
>>> Users,Everyone,BUILTIN\Administrators,BUILTIN\User s,NT
>>> AUTHORITY\INTERACTIVE,NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users,,LOCAL,
>>>
>>> It does not have <domainname\Gamers>
>>>
>>> However by using LDAP i am able to get CN=Gamers

Joey Lee

Hi,

I am get <domainname>\joey from the response

From the whoami, the below

[Group 1] = "<domainname>\Domain Users"
[Group 2] = "Everyone"
[Group 3] = "BUILTIN\Administrators"
[Group 4] = "BUILTIN\Users"
[Group 5] = "NT AUTHORITY\INTERACTIVE"
[Group 6] = "NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users"
[Group 7] = "LOCAL"