Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > Cannot start aspnet_wp.exe

Cannot start aspnet_wp.exe

Matt Eustace

Well this little gem is popping up everywhere it seems! I installed VS.Net 03
on my machine along with all the pre-reqs including the .Net Redist framework
1.1. Subsequent to this, I lost the ability to run ASP let alone ASPX on my
machine. All the information I have found pointed to ASPNET not having
sufficient rights on one of many directories. I applied the recommended
rights with no success, so as a test, I made ASPNET an administrator - still
no joy. I ran ASPNET_REGIIS -i and re-registered the ISAPI dll. I specified
the administrator account in machine.config, I upgraded to .NET Framework
Beta 2. Still no joy. I'm off to de-install IIS and .Net and try again, but
any suggestions in the mean time would be appreciated.
Matt.

Matt Eustace

Well, a complete removal of the .NET framework, manual deletion of the ASPNET
account and removal of IIS, followed by a re-install fixed this problem. It's
a fully loaded B52 to crack a nut, just one option short of nuclear. It
shouldn't be this difficult!