Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > Limiting access to pages

Limiting access to pages

Lyners

I have an application that runs over our intranet. I have some pages I only
want "Administrative" people to see. I thought one way of doing this was to
creqate a sub directory in the application dorectory and add a web.config
file that would limit access to only those that we want as admin. But when I
created the sub directory and moved the aspx pages there i got an error
stating;

Parser Error Message: Could not load type 'Application.SubDirectory\WebPage'.

What is the correct way to add a security layer like this, and what is the
appropriate way to move files to sub directories and have them run? I think
it has somethin to do with the code behind.

Lyners

Pat

Lyners the error you are getting doesn't seem its related to security issue
but compilation issue..
Pls elaborate.
Patrick

"Lyners" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have an application that runs over our intranet. I have some pages I

only
> want "Administrative" people to see. I thought one way of doing this was

> creqate a sub directory in the application dorectory and add a web.config
> file that would limit access to only those that we want as admin. But when

> created the sub directory and moved the aspx pages there i got an error
> stating;

> service this request. Please review the following specific parse error
> details and modify your source file appropriately.
>
> Parser Error Message: Could not load type

'Application.SubDirectory\WebPage'.

> What is the correct way to add a security layer like this, and what is the
> appropriate way to move files to sub directories and have them run? I

think
> it has somethin to do with the code behind.
>
> Lyners

Lyners

Hi Pat, Thanks for the reply.
I figured out what I wanted to do. I added forms secuirty to the
application. I added users to a SQL Server Database and then had the
web.config point to a login screen where the user is prompted for a userid,
password. if it is a valid password then it alows them access to the web
pages in the directory. If not, well they get the login page over and over
again.

This works for what i am trying to do. Part of my error was my coding. But I
have learned a little and know have me application up and running.

Thank you.
Lyners

"Pat" wrote:

> Lyners the error you are getting doesn't seem its related to security issue
> but compilation issue..
> Pls elaborate.
> Patrick
>
> "Lyners" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I have an application that runs over our intranet. I have some pages I

> only
> > want "Administrative" people to see. I thought one way of doing this was

> > creqate a sub directory in the application dorectory and add a web.config
> > file that would limit access to only those that we want as admin. But when

> > created the sub directory and moved the aspx pages there i got an error
> > stating;

> > service this request. Please review the following specific parse error
> > details and modify your source file appropriately.
> >
> > Parser Error Message: Could not load type

> 'Application.SubDirectory\WebPage'.
> >
> > What is the correct way to add a security layer like this, and what is the
> > appropriate way to move files to sub directories and have them run? I

> think
> > it has somethin to do with the code behind.
> >
> > Lyners

Pat

No worries..Lyner
Good you got it working
Patrick

"Lyners" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Pat, Thanks for the reply.
> I figured out what I wanted to do. I added forms secuirty to the
> application. I added users to a SQL Server Database and then had the
> web.config point to a login screen where the user is prompted for a

userid,
> password. if it is a valid password then it alows them access to the web
> pages in the directory. If not, well they get the login page over and over
> again.
>
> This works for what i am trying to do. Part of my error was my coding. But

> have learned a little and know have me application up and running.
>
> Thank you.
> Lyners
>
> "Pat" wrote:
>
> > Lyners the error you are getting doesn't seem its related to security

issue
> > but compilation issue..
> > Pls elaborate.
> > Patrick
> >
> > "Lyners" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I have an application that runs over our intranet. I have some pages I

> > only
> > > want "Administrative" people to see. I thought one way of doing this

was
> > > creqate a sub directory in the application dorectory and add a

web.config
> > > file that would limit access to only those that we want as admin. But

when
> > > created the sub directory and moved the aspx pages there i got an

error
> > > stating;

required