Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > System.Security.SecurityException: Requested registry access is no

System.Security.SecurityException: Requested registry access is no

Tim Reynolds

Using Web Service to raise Event, for Enterpise Instrumentation (EIF) to
write to Application Log (in event viewer). I just reimaged my pC - so trying
to get it set up - I had it setup before using Win 2000 and don't remember
hitting this error. Now I'm on XP Pro, and seeing:
Error loading an Event Sink of type
'Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Logging.EventSinks.Lo gEventSink,
Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Logging.EventSinks, Version=1.0.0.0,
Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=da59d79eb5fd8f1a'. The Event Source of name
'Application' will not write events out to this Event Sink. The following
exception was returned during the load:

System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by
the target of an invocation. ---> System.Security.SecurityException:
Requested registry access is not allowed.
at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.OpenSubKey(String name, Boolean writable)
at System.Diagnostics.EventLog.FindSourceRegistration (String source,
String machineName, Boolean readOnly)
at System.Diagnostics.EventLog.SourceExists(String source, String
machineName)
at System.Diagnostics.EventLog.SourceExists(String source)
at
Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Logging.EventSinks.Log EventSink.CreateEventSource()
at
Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Logging.EventSinks.Log EventSink..ctor(IDictionary
parameters, EventSource eventSource)

Please assists - Thanks.
I've heard I shouldn't make ASPNET ID administrator for security reasons, so
I don't want to go that route.

WHat can I do?

Thanks,
Tim
Verizon

Tim Reynolds

Other symptom is getting 2035 when trying to read MQ under this web service.
Both issues I didn't have before. ....

"Tim Reynolds" wrote:

> Using Web Service to raise Event, for Enterpise Instrumentation (EIF) to
> write to Application Log (in event viewer). I just reimaged my pC - so trying
> to get it set up - I had it setup before using Win 2000 and don't remember
> hitting this error. Now I'm on XP Pro, and seeing:
> Error loading an Event Sink of type
> 'Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Logging.EventSinks.Lo gEventSink,
> Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Logging.EventSinks, Version=1.0.0.0,
> Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=da59d79eb5fd8f1a'. The Event Source of name
> 'Application' will not write events out to this Event Sink. The following
> exception was returned during the load:
>
> System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by
> the target of an invocation. ---> System.Security.SecurityException:
> Requested registry access is not allowed.
> at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.OpenSubKey(String name, Boolean writable)
> at System.Diagnostics.EventLog.FindSourceRegistration (String source,
> String machineName, Boolean readOnly)
> at System.Diagnostics.EventLog.SourceExists(String source, String
> machineName)
> at System.Diagnostics.EventLog.SourceExists(String source)
> at
> Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Logging.EventSinks.Log EventSink.CreateEventSource()
> at
> Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Logging.EventSinks.Log EventSink..ctor(IDictionary
> parameters, EventSource eventSource)
> --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
>

> Please assists - Thanks.
> I've heard I shouldn't make ASPNET ID administrator for security reasons, so
> I don't want to go that route.
>
> WHat can I do?
>
> Thanks,
> Tim
> Verizon

Nicole Calinoiu

You need to ensure that the event source is registered under an admin
account before you attempt to write to it from a low-privilege account. If
this is your development machine, just run a little console app under an
admin account to create the event log source. This requires only one line
of code: System.Diagnostics.EventLog.CreateEventSource("Sou rceName",
"LogName"). Registration of the event source should also be added to your
application's installer, which would presumably be run under an admin
account.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...