Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > <deny users="?" /> <allow users="*" />

<deny users="?" /> <allow users="*" />

Kylin

<!-- security -->
<authorization>
<deny users="?" />
<allow users="*" />
</authorization>

I know the <deny user="?" /> mean that deny the anonymous user ,
And I know the <allow user="*"> mean that allow all the user,
but they are together ,
what is the meaning ?

--
FireCrow Studio
Kylin Garden

Yunus Emre ALP÷ZEN [MCAD.NET]

web.config file is interpreted line by line. This means deny anonymous user
and accepten users which are authenticated. When a user request wants to be
authorized, ASP.NET looks if it is a guest, if yes denies, otherwise allows
user.

Try to change line order and see what happens like:
<!-- security -->
<authorization>
<allow users="*" />
<deny users="?" />
</authorization>

--

Thanks,
Yunus Emre ALP÷ZEN

"Kylin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> <!-- security -->
> <authorization>
> <deny users="?" />
> <allow users="*" />
> </authorization>
>
> I know the <deny user="?" /> mean that deny the anonymous user ,
> And I know the <allow user="*"> mean that allow all the user,
> but they are together ,
> what is the meaning ?
>
> --
> FireCrow Studio
> Kylin Garden
> ICQ:156134382

Ravichandran J.V.

"?" stands for anonymous users and "*" for all users. So,

<allow users="Jv"/>
<deny users="?"/>

will allow user "Jv" but deny all anonymous users. You can use to separate
multiple identiies.

<allow users="Jv, Kylin"/>
<deny users="?"/>

with regards,