Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > ASP.net control Security

ASP.net control Security

hungrymind@gmail.com

Hi All,

I have created a custome control for ASP.net. That control has lot of
javascript files & images. Is there any way to protect those from
users. Like if I sell/distribute those file to others, I have to give
javascript & image files seperately. I want to protect those image
(like logo) from the developer using that control, so that they cannot
change those images. Also same with the script, as scripts are main
area which gives the feature. Is there any dotnet solution to such
problems. Can I use resource to encapsulate such files within an
assembly? Do I have to create new file (for images) everytime by
reading data from resource. This will slower down the page loading. Can

I also hide scripts, coming on to clients browser. Please give me some
solution which dotnet have provided, otherwise I have to use other
alternatives like encryption, multiple javascript files to locate
correct file etc etc, which I hate to do.

I think using dhtml behaviour with htc will work fine. Can any body
will suggest?

regards,

Brock Allen

Well, if you're using javascript in the browser then there's little you can
do to protect it, since the browser needs the source code (the javascript)
to execute it.

As for the javascript on the server, many apps request external files to
support their custom controls. The validation controls are a prime example
of that. If you're worried about your customers stealing your IP, then that's
what a lisence agreement is all about. If they misuse or steal your IP you
need to have a legal avenue. Once you give your code to someone, even if
you obfuscate and doo all the other tricks, with enough time and effort they'll
be able to access it.

-Brock
DevelopMentor
http://staff.develop.com/ballen