Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > LDAP

vinay

I am new to implementing LDAP

I need directions to implement LDAP.
Any detailed articles ??

Thanks

--
http://pathidotnet.blogspot.com
=====

Joe Kaplan \(MVP - ADSI\)

Can you explain more what you are trying to do? Do you want to use the LDAP
classes in .NET to access an LDAP directory or do you want to write your own
LDAP implementation? It is not clear. Please provide more details and an
examples.

Joe K.

"vinay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am new to implementing LDAP
>
> I need directions to implement LDAP.
> Any detailed articles ??
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> http://pathidotnet.blogspot.com
> =====
> vInAypAtHi
> o__
> ---_,>/'_------
> (_) \(_)
> ---------------

vinay

Hi Joe

I want to use the existing classes for LDAP.
I need to access the user info if exists (authenticate).
Also add new user groups.

I am using Win XP Prof.

Thanks

"Joe Kaplan (MVP - ADSI)" wrote:

> Can you explain more what you are trying to do? Do you want to use the LDAP
> classes in .NET to access an LDAP directory or do you want to write your own
> LDAP implementation? It is not clear. Please provide more details and an
> examples.
>
> Joe K.
>
> "vinay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I am new to implementing LDAP
> >
> > I need directions to implement LDAP.
> > Any detailed articles ??
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > --
> > http://pathidotnet.blogspot.com
> > =====
> > vInAypAtHi
> > o__
> > ---_,>/'_------
> > (_) \(_)
> > ---------------

Joe Kaplan \(MVP - ADSI\)

I'd suggest starting here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...asp?frame=true

I'd also recommend against using LDAP for authentication unless you have no
choice. If you talk more about what you are doing, you'll get better help.

Joe K.

"vinay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Joe
>
> I want to use the existing classes for LDAP.
> I need to access the user info if exists (authenticate).
> Also add new user groups.
>

> I am using Win XP Prof.
>
> Thanks
>

> "Joe Kaplan (MVP - ADSI)" wrote:
>
>> Can you explain more what you are trying to do? Do you want to use the
>> LDAP
>> classes in .NET to access an LDAP directory or do you want to write your
>> own
>> LDAP implementation? It is not clear. Please provide more details and
>> an
>> examples.
>>
>> Joe K.
>>
>> "vinay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I am new to implementing LDAP
>> >
>> > I need directions to implement LDAP.
>> > Any detailed articles ??
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> >
>> > --
>> > http://pathidotnet.blogspot.com
>> > =====
>> > vInAypAtHi
>> > o__
>> > ---_,>/'_------
>> > (_) \(_)
>> > ---------------

vinay

Sorry its not for authentication.

It will more like creating Process Control Groups and assigning the Groups
to the Users.

Any suggestions??

Thanks

"Joe Kaplan (MVP - ADSI)" wrote:

> I'd suggest starting here:
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...asp?frame=true
>
> I'd also recommend against using LDAP for authentication unless you have no
> choice. If you talk more about what you are doing, you'll get better help.
>
> Joe K.
>
> "vinay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi Joe
> >
> > I want to use the existing classes for LDAP.
> > I need to access the user info if exists (authenticate).
> > Also add new user groups.
> >

> > I am using Win XP Prof.
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> > "Joe Kaplan (MVP - ADSI)" wrote:
> >
> >> Can you explain more what you are trying to do? Do you want to use the
> >> LDAP
> >> classes in .NET to access an LDAP directory or do you want to write your
> >> own
> >> LDAP implementation? It is not clear. Please provide more details and
> >> an
> >> examples.
> >>
> >> Joe K.
> >>
> >> "vinay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Joe Kaplan \(MVP - ADSI\)

Read the section in the link I sent you on managing groups. Drill down
through the tree until you see it (under administrative tasks\managing
groups).

I provided the top level link because you sound like you are novice, so it
is best to read the whole thing. It isn't that long and will save you much
time later.

Joe K.

"vinay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sorry its not for authentication.
>
> It will more like creating Process Control Groups and assigning the Groups
> to the Users.
>
> Any suggestions??
>
> Thanks
>
> "Joe Kaplan (MVP - ADSI)" wrote:
>
>> I'd suggest starting here:
>>
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...asp?frame=true
>>
>> I'd also recommend against using LDAP for authentication unless you have
>> no
>> choice. If you talk more about what you are doing, you'll get better
>> help.
>>
>> Joe K.
>>
>> "vinay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Hi Joe
>> >
>> > I want to use the existing classes for LDAP.
>> > I need to access the user info if exists (authenticate).
>> > Also add new user groups.
>> >

>> > I am using Win XP Prof.
>> >
>> > Thanks

vinay

Hi Joe

I am using ADAM as i am using XP prof.
I am getting error while creating new GROUP.

"System.UnauthorizedAccessException - General access denied error"

Dim de As DirectoryEntry = New
DirectoryEntry("LDAP://localhost:389/CN=Builtin,DC=XXX,DC=com")

Dim newProcCntr As DirectoryEntry = newGroup.Children.Add("CN=" &
txtProcessName.Text, "group")

Dim newGroup As DirectoryEntry = de.Children.Add("CN=vs3." +
txtNewGroup.Text, "group")

newGroup.CommitChanges()
newProcCntr.CommitChanges()

Any suggestions?