Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > Restarting IIS every time I add accounts to local machine....

Restarting IIS every time I add accounts to local machine....

Thomas Smith

I have to restart IIS every time I add a domain user to
the local accounts I use for windows authentication in my
asp.net application. I would like to deploy this
application, surely I'm missing something. Is there any
way to get IIS to re-read the local machine groups for
authentication without restarting it?

Thanks,

Thomas

Mathew Uthup

Well one work around to this problem is to create a Local ASP_User Group and
give this Group all the necessary ACL permission for Running ASP see the
Following article
"http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpguide/html/cpconaspnetrequiredaccesscontrollistsacls.asp"
and add users to this group. Once this Group exists adding new users to this
group somehow does not require Reboot of IIS. Hence I suggest planning ahead
by creating a Local user group with proper ACL Permissions for running
ASP.net if you want to avoid Rebooting IIS in production environment if you
plan to use Windows authentication. By the way in our case users in the Admin
Group had the proper ACL Permission for running ASP.net hence adding users
who belonged to this group always worked and did not require a Reboot of IIS