Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > redirecting to main page

redirecting to main page

vips

I am working on asp.net application
what should I do so that if any user directly types the url other than
"mainpage.aspx" of my application, he should be directed to
"mainpage.aspx".
I am managing user access by enabling and disabling the links on the web
page depending on the user.

cheers

Brock Allen

You should look into the <authorization> element in web.config -- this allows
you to specify who is and isn't allowed to see certain pages and it automatically
redirects the user to a login page (or any page you specify) if they're not
authorized:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...ionsection.asp

And here's a way more in depth look:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...SecNetch03.asp

-Brock
DevelopMentor
http://staff.develop.com/ballen

> I am working on asp.net application
> what should I do so that if any user directly types the url other than
> "mainpage.aspx" of my application, he should be directed to
> "mainpage.aspx".
> I am managing user access by enabling and disabling the links on the
> web
> page depending on the user.
> cheers

vips

how to use roles ...do i need to create tables ??
what should be the table strcuture ..
can u give me an example of creating this security model ...if I am using
windows based authentication.

please help...

"Brock Allen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> You should look into the <authorization> element in web.config -- this

allows
> you to specify who is and isn't allowed to see certain pages and it

automatically
> redirects the user to a login page (or any page you specify) if they're

not
> authorized:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...ionsection.asp

> And here's a way more in depth look:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...SecNetch03.asp

> -Brock
> DevelopMentor
> http://staff.develop.com/ballen
>

> > I am working on asp.net application
> > what should I do so that if any user directly types the url other than
> > "mainpage.aspx" of my application, he should be directed to
> > "mainpage.aspx".
> > I am managing user access by enabling and disabling the links on the
> > web
> > page depending on the user.
> > cheers

Brock Allen

The docs cover that. Also, the second link I gave you should give you more
insights. But yes, windows authentication is supported and it does allow
you to specify the windows groups.