Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > Accessing files on a different machine

Accessing files on a different machine

RichardF

I have two machines that are members of the same workgroup (there is
NO domain server).

On one machine I have some images that I want to access from a
webservice that is running on the other machine.

From Windows Explorer I can view the images, delete them, rename them
etc.

But my Web Service always gets a FileNotFound exception when trying to
open an image.

What permissions do I need to set up on the machine with the images to
allow my web service to access the image files.

Thanks

RichardF

Paul Clement

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 17:31:27 -0600, RichardF <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

I have two machines that are members of the same workgroup (there is
NO domain server).

On one machine I have some images that I want to access from a
webservice that is running on the other machine.

From Windows Explorer I can view the images, delete them, rename them
etc.

But my Web Service always gets a FileNotFound exception when trying to
open an image.

What permissions do I need to set up on the machine with the images to
allow my web service to access the image files.

If you're using a remote path mapped to a drive letter I doubt that the Web Service can see it. I
would use a UNC path instead.

In addition, the identify under which the Web Service is operating, probably the local ASPNET
account, will need to be mirrored on the remote machine (with the same password) and have access to
the files in question so that delegation can occur. This scenario assumes you are using Anonymous
(no) or Basic authentication (w/o impersonation).

Paul ~~~ http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)