Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > Exception Details: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path - ASP.NET app on WIn2003

Exception Details: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path - ASP.NET app on WIn2003

Bill Nguyen

I got this error emssage trying to run an ASP.NET application on my
Win2003/IIS6.0 server: The server is a DC and I can't locate the option to
manage Local Users and Groups anywhere to look at aspnet user setup

Exception Details: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path
"C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temp orary ASP.NET
Files\gsic_license\af8d1ef2\60bfeb0b" is denied.

Your help is greatly appreciated.
Bill

Lachlan James

Hi Bill,

It sounds like the account under which ASP.NET is running
does not have the correct privleges set up.

Check out this link to see how the account should have
been set up...
url=/library/en-us/secmod/html/secmod15.asp

Lachlan

Paul Glavich [MVP ASP.NET]

I often get this error after our server admins "security harden" the server.
Either make sure the ASPNET/Network service user, or the user under which
you run has enough priveleges for this directory (or set of directories).

In this instance, I prefer to create a local account for the express purpose
of running your app, assign the correct privileges, and use this as the
specific application pool identity under which the app runs.

--

- Paul Glavich
ASP.NET MVP

"Bill Nguyen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I got this error emssage trying to run an ASP.NET application on my
> Win2003/IIS6.0 server: The server is a DC and I can't locate the option to
> manage Local Users and Groups anywhere to look at aspnet user setup
>
> Exception Details: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path
> "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temp orary ASP.NET
> Files\gsic_license\af8d1ef2\60bfeb0b" is denied.
>

> Your help is greatly appreciated.
> Bill

Bill Nguyen

Paul;

The article above has something to do with the problem I was facing. I now
am able to run ASP.NET applications residing on the same Win2003 DC after
adding domain ASPNET, IIS_WPG to the DC's local user right assignment.
However, I still received the same error when trying to run an ASP.NET app
resides in a network share on a member server. Curiously enough, I was able
to run ASP.NET app residing on the DC (via network share) as a virtual
directory from the IIS server of this very member server!

Again, both servers are Win 2003. one is DC, the other is just a member.
Thanks
Bill

Exception Details: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path
"C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temp orary ASP.NET
Files\test\56981759\83651d76" is denied.

"Paul Glavich [MVP ASP.NET]" <(E-Mail Removed)-NOSPAM> wrote in message
news:u9v1%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I often get this error after our server admins "security harden" the

server.
> Either make sure the ASPNET/Network service user, or the user under which
> you run has enough priveleges for this directory (or set of directories).
>
> In this instance, I prefer to create a local account for the express

purpose
> of running your app, assign the correct privileges, and use this as the
> specific application pool identity under which the app runs.
>
> --
>
> - Paul Glavich
> ASP.NET MVP
> ASPInsider (www.aspinsiders.com)
>

> "Bill Nguyen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I got this error emssage trying to run an ASP.NET application on my
> > Win2003/IIS6.0 server: The server is a DC and I can't locate the option

> > manage Local Users and Groups anywhere to look at aspnet user setup
> >
> > Exception Details: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the

path
> > "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temp orary ASP.NET
> > Files\gsic_license\af8d1ef2\60bfeb0b" is denied.
> >

> > Your help is greatly appreciated.
> > Bill

Paul Glavich [MVP ASP.NET]

Ok, I did not realise you were running via network shares. This brings a
whole new picture to the authentication scenario and after reviewing your
latest post, my original advice is probably way off the mark. Running via
network shares introduces a level of authentication and delegation issues
that are sometimes very hard to overcome. Rather than try and diagnose a
series of different environment scenarios, can you please (in detail) list
the encironment and configuration in which you wish to run your app. Please
include what is a member server or DC, the location you wish to run the app,
any network shares incolved, and how you are aurhenticating users in your
app, and if any impersonatin is being used.

--

- Paul Glavich
ASP.NET MVP
ASPInsider (www.aspinsiders.com)