Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > Redirecting HTTP request

Redirecting HTTP request

arc

Here's my requirement:

When a desktop application (smart client) makes a request to our ASP.NET
server, the request has to be redirected to a 3rd party provider.

AND

Option A - The 3rd party provider should be able to deliver the information
back to the smart client directly
OR
Option B - The 3rd party provider should be able to deliver the information
back to our server which in turn is sent back to the smart client.

If its Option A, I believe we have to manipulate the HTTP request so that
the 3rd party provider understands the information would be sent to the
smart client instead of giving it back to our server. Can we use something
like HTTPHandler or HTTPModule to do this? How exactly?

If its Option B, I believe we have to maintain the session as it arrives
from the client and be able to deliver back to the client when 3rd party
provider responds.
Is it possible to maintain the long standing session in IIS while the
request is re-directed? How to do it?

Greatly appreciate your inputs!

Thanks
Arc

Joerg Jooss

arc wrote:

> Here's my requirement:
>
> When a desktop application (smart client) makes a request to our
> ASP.NET server, the request has to be redirected to a 3rd party
> provider.
>
> AND
>
> Option A - The 3rd party provider should be able to deliver the
> information back to the smart client directly
> OR
> Option B - The 3rd party provider should be able to deliver the
> information back to our server which in turn is sent back to the
> smart client.
>
> If its Option A, I believe we have to manipulate the HTTP request so
> that the 3rd party provider understands the information would be sent
> to the smart client instead of giving it back to our server. Can we
> use something like HTTPHandler or HTTPModule to do this? How exactly?

No. A redirect informs the client to look for the requested resource
somewhere else. Thus, the client knows to ask the 3rd party site if
redirected.

Client --GET--> YourSite
Client <--302-- YourSite
Client --GET--> 3rdParty
Client <--200-- 3rdParty

> If its Option B, I believe we have to maintain the session as it
> arrives from the client and be able to deliver back to the client
> when 3rd party provider responds.
> Is it possible to maintain the long standing session in IIS while the
> request is re-directed? How to do it?

Option B means you send a new request to the 3rd party site in order to
produce the response for the client:

Client --GET--> YourSite
void Page_Load() { // or any other method
YourSite --GET--> 3rdParty
YourSite <--200-- 3rdParty
}
Client <--200-- YourSite

Cheers,
--
http://www.joergjooss.de
(E-Mail Removed)

Redirecting HTTP request arc ASP .Net Web Services 1 02-02-2005 08:58 PM
Redirecting HTTP request arc ASP .Net 1 02-02-2005 08:58 PM
Redirecting a http POST request, without loosing data? basic Java 3 01-27-2005 12:23 AM
Redirecting HTTP traffic based on host-header (or URL request) Tim Mavers Cisco 3 04-13-2004 06:31 PM