Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > Write access to web.config

Write access to web.config

Asim

What are the security risks to grant ASP.NET user write access to web.config?
I am working on a project in which I am required to update web.config at the
runtime, basically modifying access to different directories.

Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Hi Asim,

There are certainly serious security risks in doing this. You might want to
consider storing the configuration information in some other place like a
database rather than the web.config.

I'd also worry about performance problems because whenever you change the
web.config, the Web application resets and will want to recompile.

Ken

"Asim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What are the security risks to grant ASP.NET user write access to
> web.config?
> I am working on a project in which I am required to update web.config at
> the
> runtime, basically modifying access to different directories.
>
> Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks

Patrick Olurotimi Ige

Asim..
I don't advice updating or modifying web.config files at anytime UNLESS
u need to do so..
GDLUCK
Patrick