Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > DPAPI

DPAPI

Mark Petruszak

Hi everyone. I'm creating an app that stores DB connection strings in the
web config file. I'm using the MSDN resources at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...l/secmod21.asp and the related articles for help.

However, when using the code in the above article, I get the following
exception:
"Exception decrypting. Unable to load DLL (kernal32.dll)." When I click on
the button "Decrypt string from config file", the application begins to
postback but then quits after the Page_Load event.

If someone could point me in the right direction, it would be very much
appreciated.

-Mark

John Paul. A

Hi Mark,
You check the config file settings. If everything finds right there, please
check the security settings for the dll.
Rgds,
John Paul. A

"Mark Petruszak" wrote:

> Hi everyone. I'm creating an app that stores DB connection strings in the
> web config file. I'm using the MSDN resources at
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...l/secmod21.asp and the related articles for help.
>
> However, when using the code in the above article, I get the following
> exception:
> "Exception decrypting. Unable to load DLL (kernal32.dll)." When I click on
> the button "Decrypt string from config file", the application begins to
> postback but then quits after the Page_Load event.
>
> If someone could point me in the right direction, it would be very much
> appreciated.
>
> -Mark

Mark Petruszak

The only change that I made to the web config file was the one that the
article suggested that I make. That is, add the appSettings section.

With regard to the security settings for the dll, what should they be?
Also, please specify what dll that you are concerned about. This application
was created and then built in VS 2003 just like all my other apps. What now
would make VS alter an app's security settings? Does Windows XP SP2 have a
hand in this?

Thank you for your help in this matter.

-Mark

"John Paul. A" wrote:

> Hi Mark,
> You check the config file settings. If everything finds right there, please
> check the security settings for the dll.
> Rgds,
> John Paul. A
>
> "Mark Petruszak" wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone. I'm creating an app that stores DB connection strings in the
> > web config file. I'm using the MSDN resources at
> > http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...l/secmod21.asp and the related articles for help.
> >
> > However, when using the code in the above article, I get the following
> > exception:
> > "Exception decrypting. Unable to load DLL (kernal32.dll)." When I click on
> > the button "Decrypt string from config file", the application begins to
> > postback but then quits after the Page_Load event.
> >
> > If someone could point me in the right direction, it would be very much
> > appreciated.
> >
> > -Mark

John Paul. A

Hi Mark,
Could you please check whether you have these requirements with the service
packs.

<!--
This module applies to the following products and technologies:

Microsoft® Windows® XP or Windows 2000 Server (with Service Pack 3) and
later operating systems
Microsoft Data Protection API
Microsoft .NET Framework version 1.0 (with Service Pack 2) and later versions
Microsoft Visual C#® .NET development tool
-->

Rgds,
John Paul. A

"Mark Petruszak" wrote:

> The only change that I made to the web config file was the one that the
> article suggested that I make. That is, add the appSettings section.
>
> With regard to the security settings for the dll, what should they be?
> Also, please specify what dll that you are concerned about. This application
> was created and then built in VS 2003 just like all my other apps. What now
> would make VS alter an app's security settings? Does Windows XP SP2 have a
> hand in this?
>
> Thank you for your help in this matter.
>
> -Mark
>
> "John Paul. A" wrote:
>
> > Hi Mark,
> > You check the config file settings. If everything finds right there, please
> > check the security settings for the dll.
> > Rgds,
> > John Paul. A
> >
> > "Mark Petruszak" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi everyone. I'm creating an app that stores DB connection strings in the
> > > web config file. I'm using the MSDN resources at
> > > http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...l/secmod21.asp and the related articles for help.
> > >
> > > However, when using the code in the above article, I get the following
> > > exception:
> > > "Exception decrypting. Unable to load DLL (kernal32.dll)." When I click on
> > > the button "Decrypt string from config file", the application begins to
> > > postback but then quits after the Page_Load event.
> > >
> > > If someone could point me in the right direction, it would be very much
> > > appreciated.
> > >
> > > -Mark

DPAPI - decrypt error: Decryption failed. Key not valid for use in specified state. BigLuzer ASP .Net 1 11-21-2006 04:05 PM
DPAPI in a Load Balanced Environment Ron Ifferte ASP .Net Security 2 02-28-2004 01:56 AM
DPAPI Encryption Constraints & implementation Shaun ASP .Net Security 0 01-09-2004 10:31 PM
error DPAPI afsheen ASP .Net Security 0 10-24-2003 01:54 AM
DPAPI and connection string Kevin Cunningham ASP .Net Security 1 10-16-2003 06:04 PM

Advertisments