Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > HOW DO I JOIN A WAN GROUP?

HOW DO I JOIN A WAN GROUP?

=?Utf-8?B?SU5ERUU=?=

hello,
i have a 512 kbps broadband connection with a net provider say A.My other
friends have connection from say provider B. My freinds ask me to join to
their "hub" so we can directly access each others files(shared only).They are
proividing me their hub's IP address also.But i really do not know how to
join them and access it all.
Can you please guide me?is there any special software required or shall i
have to change my provider?
thnx in advance!!

BobC

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 06:43:01 -0700, INDEE wrote:

> hello,
> i have a 512 kbps broadband connection with a net provider say A.My other
> friends have connection from say provider B. My freinds ask me to join to
> their "hub" so we can directly access each others files(shared only).They are
> proividing me their hub's IP address also.But i really do not know how to
> join them and access it all.
> Can you please guide me?is there any special software required or shall i
> have to change my provider?
> thnx in advance!!

You should set up a VPN (Virtual Private Network) between your computer and
the remote computer(s). Google VPN and you will find many tutorials.
Depending on what OS and routers you and the remote LAN/computers have, you
may need to install third party VPN software at each end.

Sooner Al [MVP]

One free alternative is SSL-Explorer. Its easy to setup, has built-in
support for XP Pro Remote Desktop, file access, etc and you can access your
home PC from any Java enabled browser. You can also run VNC through the SSL
tunnel just in case the remote site does not run XP Pro. I have
occasionally used this to access my home LAN in the past. You only need TCP
Port 443 open on your home firewall/NAT/router...

http://3sp.com/showSslExplorer.do

My personal VPN of choice, however, is to use Secure Shell (SSH). I
currently use CopSSH and Tunnelier as the client with a 2048-bit RSA
private/public key pair for authentication. Tunnelier has built-in support
for XP Pro Remote Desktop and file transfers. You can also run VNC through
the SSH tunnel just in case the remote site does not run XP Pro. You only
need TCP Port 22 open on your home firewall/NAT/router.

http://www.itefix.no/phpws/index.php...age&PAGE_id=12
http://www.bitvise.com/tunnelier.html

Other remote access help...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...VNCandSSH.html
http://www.broadbandreports.com/faq/vnc

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

benefit of all of us...
rights...

"BobC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 06:43:01 -0700, INDEE wrote:
>
>> hello,
>> i have a 512 kbps broadband connection with a net provider say A.My other
>> friends have connection from say provider B. My freinds ask me to join to
>> their "hub" so we can directly access each others files(shared only).They
>> are
>> proividing me their hub's IP address also.But i really do not know how to
>> join them and access it all.
>> Can you please guide me?is there any special software required or shall i
>> have to change my provider?
>> thnx in advance!!

> You should set up a VPN (Virtual Private Network) between your computer
> and
> the remote computer(s). Google VPN and you will find many tutorials.
> Depending on what OS and routers you and the remote LAN/computers have,
> you
> may need to install third party VPN software at each end.

Re: Dual WAN on a 2651, NAT inside, opening one port on the seconday WAN Martin Gallagher Cisco 0 11-27-2012 09:27 AM
PIX 501 - 2 WAN Connections, how to route certain IPs to the 2nd WAN Casper Cisco 1 08-17-2007 08:17 PM
You must join New York Paid To Read !!!!!!! NewYork PTR is online!!! JOIN NOW!!!!!! Alan Silver ASP .Net 0 06-05-2006 03:27 PM
Ethernet WAN and not WAN. AM Cisco 1 05-23-2005 11:45 PM
Need to securely connect workstations on another WAN to my WAN kev Cisco 4 11-17-2003 01:55 AM

Advertisments