Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > Access Denied - Network Service vs Local Service

Access Denied - Network Service vs Local Service

mangia

I have been struggling with my ASP.NET (V1.1 sp1) websites getting an 'Access
Denied' message.

I have track down the problem (I think) to the IIS Connection Pools. Most
MS Info suggests keeping the 'Identity' set as 'Network Service' to provide
greater security.

However, I have found that if I change the Identity to 'Local Service' my
websites now work! What am I missing? Why does setying connection pool
'Identity' set as 'Network Service' cause an 'Access Denied' message?

Thanks for your help!

Ken Schaefer

Well, it seems that Local Service has access to something that Network
Service does not.

What exactly are you getting an Access Denied on? What is the exact error
message?

Cheers
Ken

"mangia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have been struggling with my ASP.NET (V1.1 sp1) websites getting an
>'Access
> Denied' message.
>
> I have track down the problem (I think) to the IIS Connection Pools. Most
> MS Info suggests keeping the 'Identity' set as 'Network Service' to
> provide
> greater security.
>
> However, I have found that if I change the Identity to 'Local Service' my
> websites now work! What am I missing? Why does setying connection pool
> 'Identity' set as 'Network Service' cause an 'Access Denied' message?
>
> Thanks for your help!

mangia

I have a Windows 2003 Sever that I have had running fine several .NET
websites for over a year now.

Two weeks ago I decided to change my anonymous FTP site access from
'granted' and denied' IP addresses to 'not anonymous’ and require username
password access. I created an ‘FTPGuest’ user account and gave it the file
permissions I
wanted. Tested the FTP site access and it works fine from within the LAN
and/or from outside the WAN.

However, now when I attempt to access my website I receive an IE webpage
that ONLY SAYS “Access is denied.”, and nothing else. I see no error or
information in the Event logs. I spent most of the afternoon playing with
Permissions, User Accounts and Directory Security settings, but nothing has
helped.

Chris

"Ken Schaefer" wrote:

> Well, it seems that Local Service has access to something that Network
> Service does not.
>
> What exactly are you getting an Access Denied on? What is the exact error
> message?
>
> Cheers
> Ken
>
> "mangia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have been struggling with my ASP.NET (V1.1 sp1) websites getting an
> >'Access
> > Denied' message.
> >
> > I have track down the problem (I think) to the IIS Connection Pools. Most
> > MS Info suggests keeping the 'Identity' set as 'Network Service' to
> > provide
> > greater security.
> >
> > However, I have found that if I change the Identity to 'Local Service' my
> > websites now work! What am I missing? Why does setying connection pool
> > 'Identity' set as 'Network Service' cause an 'Access Denied' message?
> >
> > Thanks for your help!

Ken Schaefer

If you are seeing nothing other than "Access is denied", then I don't think
you are seeing an error direct from IIS - do you have a proxy server in the
way that might be "interpreting" a message returned from IIS?

What do you see in the IIS Logfiles for the requests in question? Eg what is
the HTTP status and substatus?