Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > System.UnauthorizedAccessException

System.UnauthorizedAccessException

Peter Afonin

Hello,

I'm using this code to access a network share from an asp.net page:

Dim dir As DirectoryInfo = New DirectoryInfo("\\10.0.0.150\FormLib\")
Dim files() As FileInfo = dir.GetFiles("*.eps")

When I try to do it, I get this error:

System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path
"\\10.0.0.150\FormLib\" is denied. at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32
errorCode, String str) at
System.IO.Directory.InternalGetFileDirectoryNames( String fullPath, String
userPath, Boolean file) at System.IO.Directory.InternalGetFiles(String path,
String userPath, String searchPattern) at
System.IO.DirectoryInfo.GetFiles(String searchPattern) at
Wip7b.WorkInProcess.btnGetEPS_ServerClick(Object sender, EventArgs e)

All permissions to this folder and a file share are set to Everyone.Usually
I don't have this problem. The only thing that is different about this
particular machine that it is not a part of the domain to which all other
PCs in our company belong, so I cannot access any users from our Active
Directory.

This is a Win 2000 SP4 machine.

I would greatly appreciate your help.

Thank you,

--
Peter

Joyjit Mukherjee

Hi,

you need to impersonate the user under whose behalf the resource is going to
be accessed. Put a <identity> tag in ur Web.Config as follows: -

< identity impersonate = "true" userName = "Domain\username" password =
"password" />

Regards
Joyjit

"Peter Afonin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23HW$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> I'm using this code to access a network share from an asp.net page:
>
> Dim dir As DirectoryInfo = New DirectoryInfo("\\10.0.0.150\FormLib\")
> Dim files() As FileInfo = dir.GetFiles("*.eps")
>
> When I try to do it, I get this error:
>
> System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path
> "\\10.0.0.150\FormLib\" is denied. at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32
> errorCode, String str) at
> System.IO.Directory.InternalGetFileDirectoryNames( String fullPath, String
> userPath, Boolean file) at System.IO.Directory.InternalGetFiles(String

path,
> String userPath, String searchPattern) at
> System.IO.DirectoryInfo.GetFiles(String searchPattern) at
> Wip7b.WorkInProcess.btnGetEPS_ServerClick(Object sender, EventArgs e)
>
> All permissions to this folder and a file share are set to

Everyone.Usually
> I don't have this problem. The only thing that is different about this
> particular machine that it is not a part of the domain to which all other
> PCs in our company belong, so I cannot access any users from our Active
> Directory.
>
> This is a Win 2000 SP4 machine.
>
> I would greatly appreciate your help.
>
> Thank you,
>
> --
> Peter

Peter Afonin

Thank you very much, Joyjit, it worked.

However, for now I'm using

<identity impersonate="true" />

i.e. impersonating all users. If I impersonate individual users, do I need
to enter the password if I'm using the Windows authentication? I tried and
it didn't work, just want to be sure that I'm doung the right thing.

Thank you,

Peter

"Joyjit Mukherjee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> you need to impersonate the user under whose behalf the resource is going

> be accessed. Put a <identity> tag in ur Web.Config as follows: -
>
> < identity impersonate = "true" userName = "Domain\username" password =
> "password" />
>
> Regards
> Joyjit
>
> "Peter Afonin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%23HW$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm using this code to access a network share from an asp.net page:
> >
> > Dim dir As DirectoryInfo = New DirectoryInfo("\\10.0.0.150\FormLib\")
> > Dim files() As FileInfo = dir.GetFiles("*.eps")
> >
> > When I try to do it, I get this error:
> >
> > System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path
> > "\\10.0.0.150\FormLib\" is denied. at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32
> > errorCode, String str) at
> > System.IO.Directory.InternalGetFileDirectoryNames( String fullPath,

String
> > userPath, Boolean file) at System.IO.Directory.InternalGetFiles(String

> path,
> > String userPath, String searchPattern) at
> > System.IO.DirectoryInfo.GetFiles(String searchPattern) at
> > Wip7b.WorkInProcess.btnGetEPS_ServerClick(Object sender, EventArgs e)
> >
> > All permissions to this folder and a file share are set to

> Everyone.Usually
> > I don't have this problem. The only thing that is different about this
> > particular machine that it is not a part of the domain to which all

other
> > PCs in our company belong, so I cannot access any users from our Active
> > Directory.
> >
> > This is a Win 2000 SP4 machine.
> >
> > I would greatly appreciate your help.
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > --
> > Peter

Prodip Saha

The following article will probably solve the problem. Be sure to pay
attention to the conditions--
How To: Implement Kerberos Delegation for Windows 2000
J.D. Meier, Alex Mackman, Michael Dunner, and Srinath Vasireddy
Microsoft Corporation

November 2002

Applies to:
Microsoft® ASP.NET
Microsoft Windows® 2000

See the Landing Page for a starting point and complete overview of Building
Secure ASP.NET Applications.

across multiple physical tiers of an application to support downstream
authentication and authorization. This How To shows you the configuration
steps required to make this work. (3 printed pages)

Contents
Notes
Requirements
Summary