Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > Distribution groups & IsInRole & Windows Auth

Distribution groups & IsInRole & Windows Auth

Mike

I have searched and cannot find anything definitive. The IsInRole
method looks at a pre-populated set of groups which the identity has
membership in. Does the .Net framework look at both membership in
distribution and security groups when populating the set of groups, or
does it only look at membership in security groups.

I am having trouble seeing distribution group which I am a member of
when calling the IsInRole method.

Joe Kaplan \(MVP - ADSI\)

If it is the WindowsPrincipal class that is being used to call IsInRole,
then only security groups are included as these are the only groups that
will be in your logon token.

This is by design in Windows as distribution groups aren't supposed to be
used for security purposes.

Joe K.

news:(E-Mail Removed) om...