Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > DPAPI Enterprise Services Example

DPAPI Enterprise Services Example

Bill Heckle

I am trying to work through the sample from msdn, "How To Use DPAPI (User
Store) from ASP.NET with Enterprise Services". I thought I had everything
configured correctly. I tried to test the service and get the following
error.(Sorry for encluding every line). I am confused as to what setting is
incorrectly set. Additionally, the paragraph on giving asp.net access doesn't
help me at all. Thanks for help, as I don't want to keep thrashing about. Any
advice on where to read more about security in general is appreciated.

Exception Details: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access is denied.
granting access rights to the resource to the ASP.NET request identity.
ASP.NET has a base process identity (typically {MACHINE}\ASPNET on IIS 5 or
Network Service on IIS 6) that is used if the application is not
impersonating. If the application is impersonating via <identity
impersonate="true"/>, the identity will be the anonymous user (typically
IUSR_MACHINENAME) or the authenticated request user.

To grant ASP.NET write access to a file, right-click the file in Explorer,
choose "Properties" and select the Security tab. Click "Add" to add the
appropriate user or group. Highlight the ASP.NET account, and check the boxes
for the desired access.

Source Error:
Line 59: private void btnEncrypt_Click(object sender, System.EventArgs e)
Line 60: {
Line 61: DataProtectorComp dp = new DataProtectorComp();
Line 62: try
Line 63: {

Source File: c:\documents and
settings\bill\vswebcache\billfun\dpapiweb\webform1 .aspx.cs Line: 61

Stack Trace:

[UnauthorizedAccessException: Access is denied.]
System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExcept ionForHR(Int32
errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo) +0
System.EnterpriseServices.Thunk.Proxy.CoCreateObje ct(Type serverType,
Boolean bQuerySCInfo, Boolean& bIsAnotherProcess, String& uri) +581

System.EnterpriseServices.ServicedComponentProxyAt tribute.CreateInstance(Type
serverType) +181

System.Runtime.Remoting.Activation.ActivationServi ces.IsCurrentContextOK(Type
serverType, Object[] props, Boolean bNewObj) +74
DPAPIWeb.WebForm1.btnEncrypt_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in
c:\documents and settings\bill
heckle\vswebcache\billfun\dpapiweb\webform1.aspx.c s:61

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPo stBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +57
System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEve ntHandler
sourceControl, String eventArgument) +18
System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCol lection postData) +33

Paul Glavich [MVP - ASP.NET]

Looks like you are using a ServicedComponent in COM+? That may complicate
things a little but you may need to give read/write access to whichever user
you are running under (might be ASPNET, NETWORK SERVICE, or the defined
identity in COM+) to your "\Document And
Settings\{user}\ApplicationData\Crypto" directory.

--
- Paul Glavich
Microsoft MVP - ASP.NET

"Bill Heckle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

> Boolean bQuerySCInfo, Boolean& bIsAnotherProcess, String& uri) +581

System.EnterpriseServices.ServicedComponentProxyAt tribute.CreateInstance(Typ
> serverType) +181

System.Runtime.Remoting.Activation.ActivationServi ces.IsCurrentContextOK(Typ
> serverType, Object[] props, Boolean bNewObj) +74
> DPAPIWeb.WebForm1.btnEncrypt_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in
> c:\documents and settings\bill
> heckle\vswebcache\billfun\dpapiweb\webform1.aspx.c s:61
> System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e) +108

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPo stBackEventHandler.RaisePo
stBackEvent(String eventArgument) +57
> System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEve ntHandler
> sourceControl, String eventArgument) +18
> System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCol lection postData) +33

Sorry, correction to my last post, the path to the directory is :-
\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Crypto

or even just

\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application
Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys

I think may do the trick.

--
- Paul Glavich
Microsoft MVP - ASP.NET

"Paul Glavich [MVP - ASP.NET]" <(E-Mail Removed)-NOSPAM> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

System.EnterpriseServices.ServicedComponentProxyAt tribute.CreateInstance(Typ
> > serverType) +181

System.Runtime.Remoting.Activation.ActivationServi ces.IsCurrentContextOK(Typ
> > serverType, Object[] props, Boolean bNewObj) +74
> > DPAPIWeb.WebForm1.btnEncrypt_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in
> > c:\documents and settings\bill
> > heckle\vswebcache\billfun\dpapiweb\webform1.aspx.c s:61
> > System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e) +108

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPo stBackEventHandler.RaisePo
> stBackEvent(String eventArgument) +57
> > System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEve ntHandler
> > sourceControl, String eventArgument) +18
> > System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCol lection postData)

+33
> > System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +1277

Bill Heckle

Paul,

Thank you very much for responding. I tried changing the account that Com+
used to activate the component. I switched it to my development account. I
got a new error saying that the registry
key,HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DPAPIComp.DataProtectorComp, could not be accessed. I
looked at the permissions for the key and believe every account that matters
has access. Obviously, I am wrong. Any thoughts would be helpful. Currently
the following account and roles have access.
Administrators,Application Test Center,aspnet_wp account(ASPNET),my
development account,OWNER,DPAPIAccount(my original com+ activation account),
local service,service,network,power users,system and users

Thanks.

"Paul Glavich [MVP - ASP.NET]" wrote:

> [...]

> System.EnterpriseServices.ServicedComponentProxyAt tribute.CreateInstance(Typ
> > > serverType) +181
> > >

> System.Runtime.Remoting.Activation.ActivationServi ces.IsCurrentContextOK(Typ
> > > serverType, Object[] props, Boolean bNewObj) +74
> > > DPAPIWeb.WebForm1.btnEncrypt_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in
> > > c:\documents and settings\bill
> > > heckle\vswebcache\billfun\dpapiweb\webform1.aspx.c s:61
> > > System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e) +108
> > >

> System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPo stBackEventHandler.RaisePo
> > stBackEvent(String eventArgument) +57
> > > System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEve ntHandler
> > > sourceControl, String eventArgument) +18
> > > System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCol lection postData)

> +33
> > > System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +1277

Just as a test, try giving Internet applications "Full Trust" via the
machine policy in .Net framework configuration. (Start --> Control Panel -->
Administrative Tools --> .Net framework config then Expand 'Runtime
Security Policy' --> Machine --> Code Groups -> All Code --> Internet
Zone --> Right click --> Properties --> Go to permissions set tab, select
Full trust). By default, ASP.NET web apps only have limited access via this
policy and certainly dont have "interop" permissions. It looks as though you
might be getting denied access when trying to do interop.

--
> [...]

> > > doesn't

> > about.
> > > Any

appreciated.

denied.

identity.

IIS 5
> > > or

(typically

> > Explorer,

the

the
> > > boxes

System.EventArgs
> > e)

61

serverType,

System.EnterpriseServices.ServicedComponentProxyAt tribute.CreateInstance(Typ

System.Runtime.Remoting.Activation.ActivationServi ces.IsCurrentContextOK(Typ

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPo stBackEventHandler.RaisePo

Martin

Hi Bill,

I'm going through the same process, but am stuck at trying to start the
service - I get error 5: access is denied.

The local account I configured for this has Log on as batch job and log on
locally rights.

The service starts ok if I make the account a member of adminstrators, so
that rules out code errors.

Do you have any tips for me on this?

Thanks in advance
Martin