Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > how to get to file in intranet using WebClient. simple ?!

how to get to file in intranet using WebClient. simple ?!

Vasko Peter

Hi All,

I am breaking my head on one problem. I'd like to read a file that is on a
different machine in intranet. The tricky part is that I do not want to
allow an access for EVERYONE but want to minimise it for my machine only.

My Idea was to access the test.txt file as a user (MYUSERNAME) with my
password. I can access the file via file browser but if I do it in ASP.NET
Web application I get an access denied error.

The code is:

WebClient webClient = new WebClient();
string username = "MYMACHINENAME\\MYUSERNAME";
string password = "MYPASSWORD";
string domain = "MYDOMAIN";
webClient.Credentials = new
System.Net.NetworkCredential(username,password,dom ain);
binFile = webClient.DownloadData("\\\\FRIENDSCOMPUTER\\Test\ \test.txt");
if (binFile.Length == 0) return null;
MemoryStream memStream = new MemoryStream(binFile);

I would be really thankful if you could point me to a solution.

Thanks a lot

p.