Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > Launching a console app on the server via asp.net

Launching a console app on the server via asp.net

epigram

I've got a console utility app that I need to launch on my web server
via an aspx page. I need to do this so I can launch the console app
from a web page from any client pc in my office.

When I try to do this (using the Process object in the
System.Diagnostics namespace) the process starts and then exits
immediately. From what I understand this is related to security.
This is not a "graphics" program, so I don't think this is a
winstation issue, but I could be wrong because it is possible that
this console app displays strings on the console.

The odd thing is I was able to launch notepad.exe. Although, just
launching notepad is pretty benign when compared to my utility program
which is creating a data connection to an Access db and
opening/creating/deleting files. So, this still may be a security
issue.

I thought that the anonymous account for asp/asp.net was
LocalPcDomain\IUSR_LocalPcDomain. So, I gave this account total
access to my entire C drive. That didn't help. I noticed that when I
launched notepad, that the user was ASPNET. What is this account?

In any case, I gave this account total access to my C drive, but this
still did not alleviate the problem. Any ideas on how to achieve
this?

Thanks

Wes Henderson

Hmmm. To decide once and for all whether or not the problem is with user
permissions, you could try:

a) launch the process under an admin account using impersonation... see
http://support.microsoft.com/default...en-us;306158#4 -
"impersonate a specific user only when you run a particular section of code"

or

b) make the ASPNET account a member of an administrators group
!!Temporarily!!

If it still does not launch properly, I doubt it's a problem with
permissions/security.

Regards,
Wes Henderson

In order to help everyone, please direct all replies to this newsgroup.
This posting is my personal effort to provide help and is not on behalf of
any company.
Also, this posting is provided "AS IS" with no expressed or implied
warranties.

news:(E-Mail Removed) om...