Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > IsInRole howto troubleshoot

IsInRole howto troubleshoot

Harold

I have added a new active directory security group and added myself to it.
IsInRole is returning False for this new group. The user and the group are
in the same domain.

The group and user was added 24 hours ago, so I think it has had time to
replicate.

I used Reflection to call _GetRoles and the group does NOT show up in this
list. There are however 2 entries in the list that are Nothing.

I used DirectorySearcher to get a list of all the groups the user is in and
this DOES return the group.

What else can be done to figure out why IsInRole is not return True for this
group?

-Harold

Mary Chipman

Did you reboot or log off/on?

--Mary

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 14:28:02 -0500, "Harold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have added a new active directory security group and added myself to it.
>IsInRole is returning False for this new group. The user and the group are
>in the same domain.
>
>The group and user was added 24 hours ago, so I think it has had time to
>replicate.
>
>I used Reflection to call _GetRoles and the group does NOT show up in this
>list. There are however 2 entries in the list that are Nothing.
>
>I used DirectorySearcher to get a list of all the groups the user is in and
>this DOES return the group.
>
>What else can be done to figure out why IsInRole is not return True for this
>group?
>
>-Harold

Harold

Both.

Mary Chipman

In that case, is it possible that you're not using the correct syntax
for custom groups? it should be
winPrincipal.IsInRole("MachineName\RoleName")

--Mary

On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 14:08:48 -0500, "Harold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Both.

Harold

It appears the problem is related to VPN. Once I connect to the domain
(locally, rather than VPN) it works. And now when I go back to VPN it
works. But, when I add another group it does not show up using IsInRole
until I connect to the network locally.

Is there something being refreshed on my system when I connect locally? Is
there some way to manually refresh this information over VPN?

-Harold

Joe Kaplan \(MVP - ADSI\)

Is it possible that your VPN isn't allowing access to refresh your Kerberos
ticket? It definitely sounds like a network problem and Kerberos tickets
are how your group information from the DC gets to you and gets passed
around to other machines. Kerb runs on port 88.

Joe K.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...