Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > A remote service problem

A remote service problem

crawlerxp

Hi.
This is the problem:
I need to construct an UI asp.net web application that will be able to start
and stop game servers on a dedicated game server.
I came up with an idea to make the server serve asp.net web form application
that will be able to just run game servers and stop those using
System.Diagnostics.Process class and it's methods.

Well, I tried it using C# win32 desktop application - it worked just fine.
But if I try to do it using asp.net web form, the process is started under
aspnet account and I can't see it's window. I just can confirm it is running
by using task manager.

Well. First: is the game server I ran that way available just byusing ip and
port like if it was ran manually using remote desktop?

If it is, that's ok, but if not.. is there any way I could force the asp.net
web app to run the game server under local logged-in account so it is
available normaly?

I've read something about impersonation, but it seems it does not do the
trick.

Thanks for all help.

John Sivilla

You can use the identity element in the web.config file to set the identity under which asp.net runs. You simply set the userName and password attributes to an existing user and the process will run under that user. You also have to set impersonation to true.

If you are using Windows Server 2003, you have support to add this info into the registry instead of having it in plain text.

hope this helps,
John